(A) All motor carriers shall display the following information on both sides of all self-propelled motor vehicles operated within Ohio in intrastate commerce:
(1) The legal name or a single trade name of the motor carrier operating the commercial motor vehicle.
(2) The identification number issued by the public utilities commission of Ohio (PUCO) preceded by the letters PUCO or the identification number issued by the United States department of transportation (USDOT) preceded by the letters USDOT.
(3) If the name of any person other than the operating carrier appears on the commercial motor vehicle, the name of the operating carrier must be followed by the information required by paragraphs (A)(1) and (A)(2) of this rule and be preceded by the words "operated by."
(4) Other identifying information may be displayed on the vehicle if it is not inconsistent with the information required by this rule.
(B) Size, shape, location and color of markings shall be as follows:
(1) The markings must appear on both sides of the self-propelled motor vehicle.
(2) The markings must be in letters that contrast sharply in color with the background on which the letters are placed.
(3) The markings must be readily legible during daylight hours, from a distance of fifty feet (fifteen point two four meters) while the commercial motor vehicle is stationary.
(4) The markings must be kept and maintained in a manner that retains the legibility required by paragraph (B)(2) of this rule.
(C) The director of the commission's transportation department may grant a written exemption from the requirements of paragraphs (A) and (B) of this rule, based upon a written application and showing that prior to January 1, 1987, the motor carrier used an alternative marking system which provided adequate notification of the ownership and identity of equipment. Based upon a written application and showing that display of the required information would pose a security hazard to the vehicle, its contents or occupants, the director of the commission's transportation department may permit display of the federal motor carrier USDOT number in lieu of company name.
(D) Paragraphs (A) and (B) of this rule shall not apply to self-propelled vehicles without drivers leased by private motor carriers from a person, co-partnership or corporation whose principal business is the leasing of equipment without drivers for compensation, when each of the following conditions applies:
(1) The lease period is for a period not in excess of thirty calendar days.
(2) The lessor remains responsible for routine maintenance of the vehicle.
(3) The vehicle is conspicuously marked with the name of the lessor.
(4) A signed copy or summary of the lease showing the name, city and state of the lessee, duration of the lease, and party responsible for routine maintenance of the vehicle, is carried aboard the vehicle.
(E) No motor carrier shall display the identification of another motor carrier or other entity with intent to deceive the public or law enforcement personnel as to the true identity of the operating motor carrier, nor shall any motor carrier transmit an electronic signal falsely identifying itself as another motor carrier or other entity.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/17/2011 and 11/30/2014
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 4919.79 , 4921.04, 4923.03, 4923.20
Rule Amplifies: 4919.79 , 4921.04, 4923.03, 4923.20
Prior Effective Dates: 1/20/63, 3/19/87, 12/25/87, 10/28/90, 5/5/00, 10/21/06