(A) A child care center shall have at least thirty-five square feet of usable wall-to-wall indoor floor space for each child the center is licensed to serve. Usable wall-to-wall indoor floor space shall not include hallways, kitchens, storage rooms, or other areas not available for the child care. Bathrooms may be included if they are used exclusively by children enrolled in the center.
(B) Areas included in the center's square footage shall be exclusively available for child care during all operating hours ofthe child care facility.
(C) The public may use areas such as entry ways, hallways, restrooms and other areas normally available for public use if such access does not constitute a risk or hazard to the health and safety ofthe children in care.
(D) Separate space, meeting the requirements of this paragraph, is required for groups that include children less than two and one half years of age. This space must be separate from space being used for groups ofolder children and shall:
(1) Be approved by the department prior to use for the care of children younger than two and one halfyears ofage; and
(2) Be approved, as needed, by local building and fire officials; and
(3) Provide at least thirty-five square feet of floor space for each child per room or area; and
(4) Be defined by a continuous permanent or nonpermanent barrier that is at least thirty-six inches in height.
(E) The calculation of usable space for centers licensed prior to September 1, 1986 may include hallways, kitchens, storage areas and bathrooms not used exclusively by children and other areas not available for child care if either of the following apply:
(1) The center's license has been maintained since September 1, 1986; or
(2) A new license was issued due to the change ofownership ofthe center.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5104.011
Rule Amplifies: 5104.011
Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/81, 6/1/84, 9/1/86 (Emer.), 4/1/92, 4/1/03, 9/1/05