(A) A child care center shall have at least thirty-five square feet of usable wall-to-wall indoor floor space for each child the center is licensed to serve. Usable wall-to-wall indoor floor space shall not include hallways, kitchens, storage rooms, or other areas not available for child care. Bathrooms may be included if they are used exclusively by children enrolled in the center.
(B) Areas included in the center's square footage shall be exclusively available for child care during all operating hours of the child care facility.
(C) The public may use areas such as entry ways, hallways, restrooms and other areas normally available for public use if such access does not constitute a risk or hazard to the health and safety of the children in care.
(D) Separate space is required for groups that include children under two and one half years of age. This space must be separate from space being used for groups of older children and shall meet all of the following:
(1) Be approved by the Ohio department of job and family services (ODJFS) prior to use for the care of children younger than two and one half years of age.
(2) Be approved, as needed, by local building and fire officials.
(3) Provide at least thirty-five square feet of floor space for each child per room or area.
(4) Be defined by a continuous permanent or nonpermanent barrier that is at least thirty-six inches in height.
(E) The calculation of usable space for centers licensed prior to September 1, 1986 may include hallways, kitchens, storage areas and bathrooms not used exclusively by children and other areas not available for child care if either of the following apply:
(1) The center's license has been maintained since September 1, 1986.
(2) A new license was issued due to the change of ownership of the center.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 08/28/2015 and 11/22/2020
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5104.015
Rule Amplifies: 5104.032
Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/81, 6/1/84, 9/1/86 (Emer.), 4/1/92, 4/1/03, 9/1/05,