(A) The type A home shall provide furniture, materials, equipment, and an environment that are safe.
(1) Firearms and ammunition materials shall be kept in locked storage areas.
(2) The home shall maintain an indoor temperature of at least sixty-five degrees Fahrenheit.
(3) If the type A home's temperature exceeds eighty-five degrees, the type A home shall provide ventilation that produces air movement or air conditioning shall be provided.
(4) Equipment, materials and furniture shall be sturdy and safe, easy to clean and maintain, and free of sharp points or corners, splinters, protruding nails, loose or rusty parts, paint which contains lead or other poisonous materials, or other hazardous features as determined by the Ohio department of job and family services (ODJFS).
(5) Children in care shall be protected from any items and conditions which threaten their health, safety and well being, including but not limited toprotecting children from: stoves, bodies of water, window covering pull cords, telephone cords, electrical cords, extension cords, lead hazards, asbestos, wells, traffic, employees' personal belongings , lawn mowers, tools and machinery and other environmental hazards. If area rugs are used, they shall have a non-skid backing. Floor surfaces shall be maintained to prevent injuries. Lawnmowers, tools, machinery and other equipment shall not be used or stored where children have access to them.
(6) Furniture, equipment and materials which are not usable due to breakage or hazards shall be removed immediately and stored away from children until repaired.
(7) Toys or other materials small enough to be swallowed shall be kept out of the reach of infants and toddlers.
(8) Cleaning and sanitizing equipment and supplies shall be stored in a space that is inaccessible to children. Cleaning agents, aerosol cans and all other chemical substances shall be stored in a designated area in their original containers and/or clearly labeled.
(9) Mercury thermometers shall not be permitted in the home.
(10) Renovations and remodeling to the home shall be conducted in a safe manner to ensure that lead poison hazards are not introduced into the environment as required by Chapter 3742. of the Revised Code.
(11) A pet or animal is permitted if it presents no apparent threat to the safety or health of the children. All pets shall be properly housed, cared for and inoculated. Verification of inoculations, for each pet requiring such inoculations, shall be on file at the type A home for review by ODJFS. Children shall not be directly exposed to animal urine or feces.
(12) Electrical outlets, including surge protectors, within the reach of children shall have child proof receptacle covers when not in use, except for homes which serve school children exclusively.
(13) The home's air conditioners, heat pumps, electric fans and heaters shall be mounted or placed out of the children's reach or have safeguards which prevent children from being injured. All space heaters shall be approved in writing by the fire department.
(14) Unless toilets and sinks are of suitable height for use by the children, the type A home shall provide a sturdy, non-slip platform on which the children may stand.
(15) All areas used by children shall be ventilated. All doors and windows shall be screened when used for ventilation, and shall be in good repair to prevent rodents, insects or other hazards from entering the home.
(16) Indoor swings (excluding infant swings), slides, climbers and climbing apparatus shall not be placed over concrete, tile or any similarly hard surface. There shall be shock absorbent protective covering under and around this equipment. If climbing equipment is over three feet high, landing mats at least one and one-half inches thick shall be used. The protective covering shall be used and placed according to the manufacturer's guidelines.
(17) Any children's equipment equipped with straps shall be used in accordance with manufacturers' guidelines.
(18) Spray aerosols shall not be used when children are in attendance.
(19) In accordance with section 2923.1212 of the Revised Code, the type A home shall post a sign that contains a statement in substantially the following form: "Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance on these premises."
(B) The type A home shall provide a clean and healthy environment and furniture, materials and equipment which are sanitary.
(1) Toilet tissue, liquid soap, running water, individually assigned towels or disposable toweling shall be provided in all bathrooms. Toilets shall be flushed after each use.
(2) Equipment, furnishings and materials shall be kept clean, sanitized and in good repair. The cleaning schedule contained in appendix A to this rule shall be followed for cleaning and sanitizing equipment and facilities in the home.
(3) Trash, rubbish and garbage inside the home shall be contained in trash cans that are emptied daily.
(4) The home shall be cleaned daily and kept in a sanitary condition at all times.
(5) Running water shall be publicly supplied or supplied by a well that meets local zoning standards. Water that is not publicly supplied shall be sampled by the local health department and determined to be safe by an approved laboratory prior to the approval of initial licensure and at least annually thereafter. A copy of the test result shall be maintained on file at the home .
(6) Individual servings or individual packages of food or drink that have been served to a child shall be discarded or sent home with the child if not consumed during meal or snack time. Food or drink that is individually packaged and the package has not been opened may be stored at the type A home to be served again or sent home.
(7) All dishes, cups, containers or silverware shall be discarded or cleaned and sanitized after each use, with the exception of individual, labeled containers used only for water. Water containers that are labeled with the child's name shall be permitted to be used throughout the day, but shall be washed and sanitized before being used again on another day. Dishes, cups, containers and silverware sent by the parent/guardian shall be cleaned and sanitized by the type A home or sent home daily for cleaning.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 08/28/2015 and 11/22/2020
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5104.017
Rule Amplifies: 2923.1212, 5104.017
Prior Effective Dates: 9/5/86, 7/1/03, 9/1/05, 1/1/07, 9/1/07