(A) The public children services agency (PCSA) or private child placing agency (PCPA) shall place a youth in its custody in an independent living arrangement, when appropriate. The PCPA making such arrangements shall be certified by the Ohio department of job and family services (ODJFS) pursuant to rule 5101:2-5-03 of the Administrative Code.
(B) The PCSA or PCPA shall assure that a youth's independent living arrangement meets the following standards:
(1) All associated structures are maintained in a safe state of repair and inspected annually by a certified fire inspector or the state fire marshall.
(2) The dwelling is safely and adequately heated, lighted and ventilated. Unvented kerosene heaters shall not be used, unless the heater has been approved by "Underwriter's Laboratory (www.ul.com)."
(3) Firearms or other projectile weapons and ammunition are not on the premises.
(4) An operating telephone.is accessible.
(5) The bathroom and toilet facilities are located within the building, connected to an indoor plumbing system and are operable.
(6) Garbage is disposed of on a regular basis and outside garbage is stored in covered containers or closed bags.
(7) Operable smoke alarms approved by "Underwriter's Laboratory" are on each level of occupancy.
(8) A portable chemical fire extinguisher is maintained in the cooking area and is operable.
(9) A written emergency procedure is in place that assures the youth will have twenty-four hour access to staff familiar with his or her situation.
(10) No more than five youth reside in the home. Each youth shall be provided with a bed of his or her own with no more than two youth to a bedroom.
(D) Nothing in this rule shall preclude an agency from using additional site, safety, and supervision requirements for independent living arrangements.
review dates: 09/04/2013 and
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5101.141, 5103.03
Rule Amplifies: 5101.141, 5103.03, 5153.166
Prior Effective Dates: 10/1/89, 1/1/91, 10/1/97, 11/12/02, 10/9/06, 11/09/2009