(A) What are the general standards for application processing?
(1) An assistance group's eligibility shall be determined and benefits shall be authorized for an eligible assistance group as soon as possible but no later than thirty calendar days after the assistance group or its representative files the application. Applications for residents of public institutions must follow the standards set forth in rule 5101:4-2-01 of the Administrative Code.
(2) Assistance groups who apply for benefits after the fifteenth day of the month shall receive their prorated allotment for the initial month of application and their first full month allotment at the same time. Assistance groups not entitled to a combined allotment are as follows:
(a) An assistance group whose initial month prorated benefits are less than ten dollars.
(b) An assistance group determined ineligible to receive benefits for the initial month of application.
(c) An assistance group determined ineligible to receive benefits the month following the initial month's prorated benefits.
(d) An assistance group which has not provided necessary verification to determine eligibility.
(3) Each assistance group within a case will have the same reapplication date. When different reapplication dates are found within a case, the earliest reapplication date will become the date for all categories of assistance in that case. For example, if a case contains assistance groups with different categories of assistance such as Ohio works first (OWF) cash assistance, medicaid, disability financial assistance (DFA) and food assistance, the reapplication date follows the shortest certification timeframe.
(B) When should a case be denied?
(1) An assistance group found to be ineligible shall be sent a notice of denial as soon as possible, but no later than thirty days following the date the application was filed. If the assistance group failed to appear for a scheduled interview and has made no contact with the county agency to express interest in pursuing the application, the county agency shall send the assistance group a notice of denial on the thirtieth day following the date of application.
(2) In cases when the county agency conducted an interview, the requested verifications as set forth in rule 5101:4-2-09 of the Administrative Code were not received, and the applicant did not ask for assistance in obtaining the verifications the county agency may deny the application on the thirtieth day. The county agency must assist the assistance group with obtaining verifications if requested.
(C) How are benefits issued?
Food assistance benefits will be issued to assistance groups on an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card using a direct access system known as an EBT on-line system. The county agency shall inform an assistance group of the date the benefits will be available in accordance with Chapter 5101:6-2 of the Administrative Code.
(D) How are adjustments made when an error has occurred in a benefit transaction?
(1) The assistance group name shall request an adjustment through the EBT vendor within ninety calendar days of the error transaction. A recipient requests an adjustment by contacting the vendor through the customer service department which is listed on the back of the EBT card.
(2) Adjustments requested within ninety calendar days shall be investigated, have a decision made and funds moved within ten business days of the error being reported.
(E) How does the assistance group dispute a decision from the adjustment request?
(1) The assistance group has ninety days from the date of the notice to request a fair hearing.
(2) If the assistance group disputes an adjustment and requests a hearing within ten days of the notice, a provisional credit must be made to the assistance group's account.
(F) What happens if the assistance group's EBT card is lost, stolen or not received?
If the EBT card is lost, stolen or not received, the assistance group must contact the EBT card vendor's customer service center to request a replacement card. The vendor under contract with ODJFS shall replace EBT cards within five business days.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/01/2015
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5101.54
Rule Amplifies: 329.04, 329.042, 5101.54
Prior Effective Dates: 6/2/80, 5/1/82, 6/17/83, 1/1/88 (Emer.), 2/26/88, 10/1/89 (Emer.), 12/21/89, 7/1/92, 2/1/93, 4/1/97 (Emer.), 6/6/97, 5/2/98, 5/1/00, 6/1/01 (Emer.), 8/27/01, 12/01/04, 08/01/05, 3/23/06, 3/1/10, 3/1/11