(A) This rule establishes the "TANF regular allocation" for costs that are not categorized as costs of administration, incurred in the operation of the federal TANF program, which consists of the Ohio works first (OWF) program and the prevention, retention, and contingency (PRC) program. Costs associated with TANF administration, as defined in 45 C.F.R. 263.0, shall not be charged to the TANF regular allocation. TANF administration costs shall instead be charged to the TANF administration allocation as contained in rule 5101:9-8-08.8 of the Administrative Code.
(B) This allocation consists of federal funds, and is in addition to the county mandated share as contained in rule 5101:9-6-31 of the Administrative Code. The catalog of federal domestic assistance (CFDA) number for this allocation is 93.558.
(C) The Ohio department of job and family services (ODJFS) issues this allocation on a federal fiscal year (FFY) basis. ODJFS will communicate the fund availability and liquidation periods through the county finance information system (CFIS). The county department of job and family services (CDJFS) must expend funds by the end of the funding period and disburse and report expenditures no later than the end of the liquidation period.
(D) ODJFS utilizes the following methodology to distribute available funds for this allocation:
(1) Thirty per cent is based on county population less than one hundred per cent of the federal poverty level utilizing the most recent calendar year (CY) data from the United States bureau of census.
(2) Thirty per cent is based on county population less than two hundred per cent of the federal poverty level utilizing the most recently available CY data from the United States bureau of census.
(3) Thirty per cent is based upon the county's adjusted recipients. The number of adjusted recipients is equal to the total of the categories of non-public assistance food assistance recipients, disability assistance (DA) recipients and disability medical assistance (DMA) recipients, adult medicaid recipients, healthy start, children health insurance program (CHIP), TANF-related and medicaid recipients, and TANF recipients.
(4) Five per cent is based upon the county's average unemployment rate as compared statewide in the same category, utilizing the most recently available report month.
(5) Five per cent is based upon the county's poverty rate. A county's poverty rate is identified as the percentage of the county's population living at or below the federal poverty level.
(E) Upon completion of the steps in paragraph (D) of this rule, a 0.3 per cent adjusting factor is used to increase or decrease the allocation based upon the county difference to the statewide average per capita income. ODJFS will calculate the applied adjustment as follows:
(1) Counties with higher per capita income than the statewide average will receive the adjustment as a decrease; and
(2) Counties with a lower per capita income than the statewide average will receive the adjustment as an increase.
(F) ODJFS caps the formula-calculated allocation amounts at a nine per cent increase and decrease from the previous FFY. If a decrease or increase in the statewide allocation amount results in counties' allocations fluctuating more than nine per cent, ODJFS will not apply the formula, but will decrease or increase each county's previous FFY allocation by the percentage of change to the statewide amount.
(G) The CDJFS shall charge costs associated with activities and contracts that provide program services to the TANF regular allocation. Applicable costs include the following:
(1) Case management;
(2) Screening and assessments;
(3) Providing diversion benefits and services;
(4) Providing program information to clients; and,
(5) Development of employability plans, work activities, work supports, and post employment services.
(H) The CDJFS shall capture costs through the random moment sample (RMS) process as detailed in rule 5101:9-7-20 of the Administrative Code. Shared costs shall be allocated and charged in accordance with the ODJFS cost allocation plan. The CDJFS must report expenditures on the JFS 02827 " Public Assistance Quarterly Financial Statement" as described in rule 5101:9-7-29 of the Administrative Code.
(I) The definitions, requirements, and responsibilities contained in rule 5101:9-6-50 of the Administrative Code are applicable to this rule.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/31/2012 and 11/01/2017
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5107.05
Rule Amplifies: 5107.05
Prior Effective Dates: 6/2/79, 7/1/80, 8/24/81, 7/1/83, 1/7/85 (Emer), 9/29/85, 10/1/85 (Emer), 12/22/85, 1/2/86, 7/1/87, 9/11/87, 10/6/87 (Emer), 12/24/87, 1/26/88 (Emer), 4/28/88, 1/7/89, 11/23/91, 12/20/91, 2/22/93, 8/30/97, 1/26/98, 3/2/98, 9/28/02, 4/22/04, 2/5/06, 10/24/08, 10/1/09 (Emer.), 12/30/09, 8/24/12 (Emer.)