(A) Conflict with Revised Code
(1) Section (5) of Amended Substitute Senate Bill 238 of the 126th General Assembly (9/2006) sets forth the following provision: Not later than September 30, 2006, the director of job and family services shall adopt rules as necessary for the state to comply with 42 U.S.C. 607(i)(2)(8/1996). If necessary to bring the state into compliance with 42 U.S.C. 607(i)(2)(8/1996), the rules may deviate from Chapter 5107. of the Revised Code. Rules adopted under this section that govern financial and other administrative requirements applicable to the department of job and family services and county departments of job and family services shall be adopted in accordance with section 111.15 of the Revised Code as if they were internal management rules. All other rules adopted under this section shall be adopted in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(2) The county agency shall administer the work activity programs in accordance with the requirements contained in this rule and not in accordance with sections 5107.40 and 5107.60 of the Revised Code. All applicable requirements contained in the Revised Code sections referenced have been incorporated in this rule.
(B) What is job skills training directly related to employment?
(1) Job skills training directly related to employment means training or education for job skills required by an employer to provide an individual with the ability to obtain employment or to advance or adapt to the changing demands of the workplace.
(2) Job skills training includes, but is not limited to the following:
(a) Customized training to meet the needs of a specific employer. Customized training can include literacy instruction or language instruction when such instruction is explicitly focused on skills needed for employment or combined in a unified whole with job skills training;
(b) General training that prepares an individual for employment; and
(c) Unpaid internships when directly related to employment.
(3) Post-secondary education leading to a baccalaureate or advanced degree may fall within the definition as long as it is directly related to a specific job or occupation. Participants can be assigned to this activity after the twelve months of vocational educational training has been used.
(4) The following activities do not meet the definition of job skills training directly related to employment:
(a) Substance abuse counseling and treatment;
(b) Mental health services; and
(c) Other rehabilitative activities.
(C) When may homework count toward the job skills training directly related to employment?
The county agency may count supervised homework time and up to one hour of unsupervised homework time for each hour of class time. Total homework time counted for participation may not exceed the hours required or advised by a particular educational institution. The county agency shall document the homework expectations of the educational program in order to count homework time.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 12/09/2016 and 05/01/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5107.05
Rule Amplifies: 5107.05
Prior Effective Dates: 9/29/2006 (Emer.), 12/29/2006, 7/1/2007, 10/1/2008, 2/5/2012