(A) What are the requirements to be an administrator in a licensed child care center?
(1) Be named on the child care center license.
(2) Written documentation verifying the administrator's qualifications shall be kept on file at the center. Administrators shall meet the education requirements detailed in appendix A to this rule.
(3) A person named as administrator, who was promoted from within, and who does not meet the requirements of appendix A to this rule within one year of being named as administrator, may no longer serve as the administrator. The person also may not be named administrator at another location until the administrator qualifications have been met.
(4) The administrator shall complete a rules review course provided by the Ohio department of job and family services.
(a) Administrators shall complete the rules review course within six months of the date of their appointment and every five years thereafter.
(b) Any current administrator who completed the course prior to December 31, 2016 shall complete the training again by December 19, 2021.
(c) Verification of completion of the rules review course shall be documented in the Ohio professional registry (OPR) or on the JFS 01307 "Professional Development Documentation for Child Care" (rev. 12/2016). This form shall be kept on file at the center.
(B) What are the additional duties of the administrator of a licensed child care center?
The administrator shall:
(1) Be responsible for the daily operation of the child care center and for maintaining compliance with Chapter 5101:2-12 of the Administrative Code.
(2) Be on-site a minimum of one-half of the hours that the child care center is in operation during the week, or forty hours per week, whichever is less.
(3) For child care centers that are in operation on the weekends and/or evenings/overnights, as well as during the week, be on-site at the center at least twenty hours per week during the hours of six a.m. to seven p.m., Monday through Friday. If there is more than one administrator, at least one must meet this requirement.
(4) Post scheduled hours of availability in a noticeable place that is easily accessible to parents.
(5) Be responsible for the creation, maintenance and implementation of the policies and procedures detailed in appendix B to this rule. Nothing in these policies shall conflict with Chapter 5104. of the Revised Code or Chapter 5101:2-12, 5101:2-16 or 5101:2-17 of the Administrative Code. A copy of these policies and procedures shall be available on-site at the center.
(6) Provide the parent and all employees with the policies and practices in appendix B to this rule.
(7) Provide a copy of appendix C to this rule to the parent(s) of the children enrolled in the center.
(8) Make available the current licensing rules in a noticeable area on the premises. The rules may be made available via paper copy or electronically.
(9) Upon request, provide a parent with any information necessary for the parent to compile child care related expenses for income tax preparation, including tax identification numbers.
(10) Have available on-site a written list of all employees including their dates of hire, positions and scheduled hours.
(11) Ensure that no administrator, employee, licensee or child care staff member discriminates in the enrollment of children upon the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, or national origin.
(C) What if an administrator is not on the premises?
(1) A child care staff member shall be designated as the person in charge and be on the premises.
(2) The designated person in charge does not have to meet the educational requirements of an administrator nor be named on the license.
(3) The designated person in charge shall handle all emergencies and have access to all records required by Chapter 5101:2-12 of the Administrative Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 12/31/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5104.015, 5104.016
Rule Amplifies: 5104.035, 5104.015, 5104.09, 5104.039
Prior Effective Dates: 03/01/1981, 02/08/1982, 09/01/1986, 01/02/1992(Emer.), 04/01/1992, 04/01/2003, 09/01/2005, 01/01/2007, 09/01/2007, 07/01/2010, 09/29/2011, 11/22/2015, 12/31/2016, 10/29/2017