(A) What are the requirements for staff/child ratios and maximum group size for a licensed child care center?
(1) The center shall ensure that required child care staff members/child ratios and maximum group size limitations are maintained at all times in accordance with appendix A to this rule. The center shall post appendix A to this rule in a noticeable area in the center.
(2) Child care staff members shall not be counted in the staff/child ratio when engaged in duties or activities that interfere with supervision of children.
(3) Even if only one child care staff member is needed to be in the building to meet ratio, there shall be at least one other employee or child care staff member at the center. A child care staff member who meets the requirements of paragraph (B)(2) of rule 5101:2-12-08 of the Administrative Code shall not be used as the additional adult on the premises.
(4) Children shall be organized and assigned to a permanent group in consultation with parents and in accordance with the maximum group size detailed in appendix A to this rule.
(a) A child with special needs shall be included in the group that best meets the child's development needs.
(b) Specific child care staff members shall be assigned and responsible for the care and supervision of the children in their group on a daily basis.
(5) The center shall not exceed the license capacity at any time.
(a) Children on routine trips to and from home, do not count in the center's capacity.
(b) Children on routine trips, other than to and from home, and on field trips do count in the center's capacity.
(6) Group size limitations shall not be interpreted to apply during nap time, evening sleep time, meal time, snack time, outdoor play, field trips, routine trips or special occasions.
(7) The children shall be organized in groups to give continuity of care and supervision to the children on a day by day basis. Children, other than school-age children, shall not be moved from one group to another to maintain staff/child ratios.
(B) What are the requirements when multiple age groups are combined?
(1) If two or more age groups are combined, the staff/child ratio shall be maintained for the age of the youngest child in the group. This includes when children are visiting the next older age group for transitioning purposes.
(2) If no more than one child two and one-half years of age or older is permanently assigned to a group in which all the other children are in the next older group, the staff/child ratio and maximum group size shall be determined by the older children.
(3) All age groups may be combined when there are twelve or fewer children in the center.
(C) What are the requirements when multiple groups are combined in a shared undivided space?
Two or more groups of children may be combined in the shared space if all of the following are met:
(1) All of the children are two and a half or older.
(2) The total number does not exceed the occupancy limit for the space or thirty-five square feet per child (whichever is less).
(3) Ratio is maintained pursuant to this rule at all times.
(D) What are the requirements for transitioning children into the next age group?
(1) The center shall document on the attendance records the specific days and times the child is with each group.
(2) The center shall have available in the classrooms, a copy of the transition agreement between the parent and the center.
(E) What are the requirements for child care centers to keep an attendance record?
(1) A record of daily attendance for each group shall be kept by the child care staff member responsible for that group. Attendance records shall remain with the group at all times throughout the day including outdoor play, emergency evacuations and when groups are combined. The attendance shall be updated throughout the day as children enter or leave the group.
(2) The attendance record shall contain all of the following information:
(a) The names and birth dates of each child in the group.
(b) The names of the child care staff members responsible for the group.
(c) The child's weekly schedule.
(d) The time (hours and minutes) of the child's arrival and departure to the group.
(3) A child attending the center on a drop-in basis shall be listed on the attendance sheet of the group to which he or she is assigned on the day the child is in attendance.
(4) The written records of attendance shall be kept for a period of one year. A copy of attendance records shall remain at the center at all times.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 12/31/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5104.016
Rule Amplifies: 5104.033
Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/81, 6/1/84, 9/1/86, 1/2/92 (Emer.), 4/1/92, 4/1/03, 1/1/07, 8/14/08, 9/29/11