(A) What are the requirements for supervision by child care staff members?
Each child care staff member shall:
(1) Leave no child unsupervised. Supervision means the child care staff members have knowledge of a child's needs and accountability for his or her care at all times. Supervision includes awareness of and responsibility for the activity of each child and being near enough to respond and reach children immediately including responding to the child's basic needs and protecting them from harm.
(2) Ensure all children in care are within sight and hearing of child care staff members at all times, except as listed in paragraph (B) of this rule. Within sight and hearing means without the use of mechanical devices such as baby monitors, video cameras or walkie talkies. The use of mirrors to view children in another room does not meet the supervision requirements of this rule.
(3) Not be under the influence of any substance that impairs the child care staff member's ability to supervise children and/or perform duties.
(4) Always have immediate access to a working telephone on the premises which is available and capable of making outgoing calls and receiving incoming calls.
(5) Only release a child to the parent or to a person who has been previously approved by the parent.
(6) Not permit children to be exposed to inappropriate language or media.
(7) Supervise outdoor play.
(a) The child care staff member shall remain outdoors with the children at all times.
(b) The child care staff member shall be able to summon another adult without leaving the group unsupervised.
(c) When the outdoor play space is not on the premises, child care staff members shall accompany and supervise all children in transit and at the outdoor play space.
(B) What are the requirements for supervision of school-age children?
(1) School-age children may run errands inside the building, use the restroom, or engage in a short term activity which poses no physical risk to their safety alone or in groups of no more than six children without adult supervision as long as the following conditions are met:
(a) Children are within hearing distance of a child care staff member, without the use of electronic equipment.
(b) The child care staff member checks on the children who are in kindergarten through third grade at least every five minutes until they return to the group.
(c) The child care staff member checks on the children in fourth grade or higher at least every ten minutes until they return to the group.
(d) The center has exclusive use of the child care space being used by the children.
(2) With written parent permission, school-age children may leave the center for specific activities.
(a) These activities include:
(i) Walking to and from the center or school.
(ii) Walking home or to another destination.
(iii) Participation in activities inside the building that are sponsored by another group.
(b) The written permission shall specify:
(i) Child's name.
(ii) Location of the activity.
(iii) Arrangements for going to and from the activity.
(iv) Start and end time of the activity.
(v) Time period for when permission is given.
(vi) Parent's signature and date.
(C) What child guidance techniques shall be used in the licensed child care center?
(1) All employees shall follow appendix A to this rule regarding guidance techniques to be used with children.
(2) The center shall communicate and consult with the parent prior to implementing a specific behavior management plan. This plan shall be in writing and signed by the parent and shall be consistent with the requirements of this rule.
(D) What are the child abuse and/or neglect reporting requirements?
If the owner, administrator, employee or child care staff member suspects that a child has been abused or neglected, he or she shall immediately notify the public children services agency (PCSA).
Replaces: 5101:2-12-20, 5101:2-12-21, 5101:2-12-22
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 5101:2-12-19
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 12/31/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5104.016, 5104.015
Rule Amplifies: 5104.033, 5104.015
Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/81, 6/1/84, 9/1/86, 1/2/92 (Emer.), 4/1/92, 4/1/95, 4/1/03, 1/1/07, 8/14/08, 7/1/10, 9/29/11, 12/1/11