(A) First aid supplies shall be readily available in a clean and clearly marked unlocked container and kept out of the reach of the children.
(1) One complete kit shall be available for every seventy-five children at the center. Centers that operate on separate floors, or separate buildings shall have a complete kit on each floor and in each building.
(2) A complete first aid kit shall be available on all trips and shall be available at all field trip destinations.
(3) The supplies of a complete kit shall include the following items:
(a) Rounded end scissors.
(c) Digital thermometer.
(d) Assorted sterile adhesive bandages individually packaged.
(e) Assorted sterile gauze squares individually packaged.
(f) Hypoallergenic first aid tape.
(g) Gauze rolled bandage.
(h) Instant cold pack or ice.
(i) Disposable non-latex gloves.
(j) Pocket mask or face shield, appropriate for all ages of children served at the center, for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) administration.
(k) Working flashlight.
(l) Sealable plastic bags in assorted sizes for soiled materials.
(m) Triangular bandage.
(n) Programs serving school age children must also have a tooth preservation system or fresh chilled milk in which to transport a lost permanent tooth.
(4) In addition to the above items, on field trips and/or when vehicles are being used for routine transportation, the following items are required.
(a) Soap or waterless sanitizer.
(b) Bottled water.
(5) The first aid kit shall contain a written reference indicating the location of the refrigerator/freezer where ice and milk are stored if an instant ice pack or tooth preservation system is not part of the first aid kit. All other supplies must be stored in the first aid kit. Items not stored in the first aid kit must be taken with the kit whenever it is removed from the center.
(6) Vehicles regulated by the Ohio state highway patrol shall not meet the requirements of this rule as those vehicles carry a first aid kit that meets the requirements of that agency, which differ from the requirements of this rule.
(B) The center shall have supplies to practice standard precaution procedures, as defined in rule 5101:2-12- 15.1 of the Administrative Code.
(C) If the center first aid kit contains items other than those listed in this rule, the items must be clearly labeled as to whom they can be administered.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/09/2011 and 09/01/2016
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5104.011
Rule Amplifies: 5104.011
Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/81, 9/1/86, 1/2/92 (Emer.), 4/1/92, 4/1/03, 1/1/07