(A) No child placed in a family foster home on or before March 31, 2005 shall be moved to another placement solely because of the failure of the foster caregiver to meet the requirements for treatment or medically fragile foster homes found in this chapter or in Chapter 5101:2-7 of the Administrative Code.
(B) An agency shall recommend a foster caregiver be certified to operate only one type of foster home at a time. A foster home may accept a foster child that is assessed as needing care at or below the level of care for which the home is certified.
(C) Whenever a foster caregiver who is certified to operate a foster home wishes to seek to change the foster home's certification to another type of certification, the foster caregiver shall submit a written request to the recommending agency.
(D) If a foster caregiver seeks to change the foster home's certification to a treatment foster home or a medically fragile foster home, the agency shall determine if the foster caregiver meets the qualifying experience requirements contained in paragraph (A) of rule 5101:2-7-16 or 5101:2-7-17 of the Administrative Code.
(1) If the foster caregiver meets those requirements, the agency shall proceed as in paragraph (E) of this rule.
(2) If the foster caregiver does not meet those requirements, the agency shall not proceed with the foster caregiver's request.
(3) Failure of a foster caregiver to prove to the recommending agency's satisfaction that the foster caregiver meets the qualifying experience requirements of paragraph (A) of rule 5101:2-7-16 or 5101:2-7-17 of the Administrative Code does not constitute denial of certification and is not subject to appeal pursuant to Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(E) Changing from one type of foster home to another.
(1) The agency shall ensure that all the preplacement training requirements of a foster caregiver contained in rule 5101:2-5-33 of the Administrative Code have been completed prior to recommending the home to the Ohio department of job and family services (ODJFS) for another type of certification.
(2) Pursuant to sections 5103.032, 5103.033 and 5103.039 of the Revised Code, a recommending agency shall not approve a waiver of any preplacement training requirements for the first certification of the new type of foster home.
(3) Training that may be considered as meeting either a requirement for preplacement training for a specialized foster caregiver or a requirement for continuing training for a family foster caregiver, may be counted as meeting either requirement, even though the caregiver may be certified to operate only one type of foster home at a time.
(4) At the discretion of the recommending agency, for a currently certified foster caregiver who is seeking to change the type of foster home for which the caregiver is certified, preplacement or continuing training courses successfully completed within the most recent three year period from the date of the caregiver's written request to the agency to be certified as a different type of foster home, may be counted towards meeting the preplacement requirements for the new type of foster home.
(5) When the change in type of foster home certification takes place during a foster caregiver's certification period, if the foster home's certification designation is changing from a certification designation that has more stringent requirements to a certification designation that has less stringent requirements, the new certification period for the foster home shall be until the end of the caregiver's current certification period.
(6) If the foster home's certification designation is recommended to change from a certification category that has less stringent requirements to a certification category that has more stringent requirements, the new certification period will be for two years, effective from the date ODJFS receives the JFS 01317 "Recommendation for Certification/Recertification of a Foster Home" (rev. 1/2003) recommending the change.
(7) When the agency recommends that a foster caregiver's certification be changed to another type of foster home, the recommendation shall be submitted as a change to ODJFS on the JFS 01317. The ODJFS uniform statewide automated child welfare database resource identification number shall remain the same as the previous identification number.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 08/03/2015 and 12/01/2020
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 5103.03, 5103.0316
Rule Amplifies: 5103.02, 5103.03, 5103.0316
Prior Effective Dates: 1/1/03, 12/11/06, 8/1/10