(A) The Ohio department of job and family services (ODJFS) issues the TANF regular allocation to the county department of job and family services (CDJFS) for costs incurred in providing direct program activities and services for the Ohio works first (OWF) program and the prevention, retention, and contingency (PRC) program.
(B) This allocation consists of federal funds, and is in addition to the county mandated share as contained in rule 5101:9-6-31 of the Administrative Code. The catalog of federal domestic assistance (CFDA) number for this allocation is 93.558.
(C) ODJFS issues this allocation on a federal fiscal year (FFY) basis. ODJFS communicates the period of availability and the liquidation periods through the county finance information system (CFIS). The CDJFS can incur services through the period of availability and disburse and report expenditures no later than the end of the liquidation period.
(D) ODJFS utilizes the following methodology to distribute available funds for this allocation:
(1) ODJFS allocates thirty per cent of the statewide allocation based upon each county's population of less than one hundred per cent of the federal poverty level utilizing the most recent calendar year (CY) data from the United States bureau of census.
(2) ODJFS allocates thirty per cent of the statewide allocation based on each county's population of less than two hundred per cent of the federal poverty level utilizing the most recently available CY data from the United States bureau of census.
(3) ODJFS allocates thirty per cent of the statewide allocation based on each county's adjusted recipients. The number of adjusted recipients is equal to the total of the categories of non-public assistance food assistance recipients, disability assistance (DA) recipients and disability medical assistance (DMA) recipients, adult medicaid recipients, healthy start, children health insurance program (CHIP), TANF-related and medicaid recipients, and TANF recipients.
(4) ODJFS allocates five per cent of the statewide allocation based on each county's average unemployment rate as compared statewide in the same category, utilizing the most recently available report month.
(5) ODJFS allocates five per cent of the statewide allocation based on each county's poverty rate as compared statewide in the same category utilizing the most recently available report month. A county's poverty rate is identified as the percentage of the county's population living at or below the federal poverty level.
(E) Upon completion of the steps in paragraph (D) of this rule, ODJFS uses a 0.3 per cent adjusting factor to increase or decrease the allocation based upon the county difference to the statewide average per capita income. ODJFS calculates the applied adjustment as follows:
(1) Counties with higher per capita income than the statewide average will receive the adjustment as a decrease; and
(2) Counties with a lower per capita income than the statewide average will receive the adjustment as an increase.
(F) ODJFS caps the formula-calculated allocation amounts at a four per cent increase and decrease from the previous FFY. If a decrease or increase in the statewide allocation amount results in counties' allocations fluctuating more than four per cent, ODJFS will not apply the formula, but will decrease or increase each county's previous FFY allocation by the percentage of change to the statewide amount.
(G) The CDJFS reports allowable costs associated with activities and contracts that provide program services to the TANF regular allocation. Applicable costs include the following:
(1) Case management;
(2) Screening and assessments;
(3) Providing diversion benefits and services;
(4) Providing program information to clients; and,
(5) Development of employability plans, work activities, work supports, and post employment services.
(H) Costs associated with TANF administration, as defined in 45 C.F.R. 263.0, shall not be charged to the TANF regular allocation. TANF administration costs shall instead be charged to the TANF administration allocation as contained in rule 5101:9-8-08.8 of the Administrative Code.
(I) The CDJFS shall claim non-administrative employee costs through the random moment sample (RMS) process as detailed in rule 5101:9-7-20 of the Administrative Code. The CDJFS reports direct expenditures as described in rule 5101:9-7-29 of the Administrative Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 01/13/2023
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5107.05
Rule Amplifies: 5107.05
Prior Effective Dates: 06/02/1979, 07/01/1980, 08/24/1981, 07/01/1983, 01/07/1985 (Emer.), 09/29/1985, 10/01/1985 (Emer.), 12/22/1985, 01/02/1986, 07/01/1987, 09/11/1987, 10/06/1987 (Emer.), 12/24/1987, 01/26/1988 (Emer.), 04/28/1988, 01/07/1989, 11/23/1991, 12/20/1991, 02/22/1993, 08/30/1997, 01/26/1998, 03/02/1998, 09/28/2002, 04/22/2004, 02/05/2006, 10/24/2008, 10/01/2009 (Emer.), 12/30/2009, 08/24/2012 (Emer.), 11/16/2012, 05/17/2013