(A) The Ohio department of job and family services (ODJFS) issues the TANF administration allocation to the county department of job and family services (CDJFS) for administrative costs incurred in providing program activities and services for the Ohio works first (OWF) and the prevention, retention and contingency (PRC) program.
(B) The catalog of federal domestic assistance (CFDA) number for this allocation is 93.558.
(C) ODJFS issues the TANF administration allocation on a federal fiscal year (FFY) basis. ODJFS communicates the period of availability and the liquidation period for this allocation through the county finance information system (CFIS). The CDJFS can incur services through the period of availability and disburse and report expenditures no later than the end of the liquidation period.
(E) In accordance with 45 C.F.R. 263.13, a state may not spend more than fifteen per cent of federal TANF funds on administrative costs. The term "administrative costs'' as defined in 45 C.F.R. 263.0 means costs necessary for the proper administration of the TANF program or separate state programs. Activities related to the general administration and coordination of these programs, including contract costs and costs of overhead shall be properly charged against this allocation and include the following:
(1) Salaries and benefits of staff performing administrative and coordination functions;
(2) Costs associated with eligibility determination activities;
(3) Preparation of program plans, budgets, reports and schedules, and the monitoring of program and projects;
(4) Fraud and abuse units;
(5) Services related to accounting, litigation, audits, management property, payroll, personnel, procurement, and public relations;
(6) Costs of goods and services and travel costs required for official business and the administration of the program unless excluded under paragraph (A) of this rule; and,
(7) Management information systems not related to the tracking and monitoring of the program.
(F) Federal regulations exclude expenditures on information technology and computerization needed for tracking and monitoring required for, or under, Title IV-A of the Social Security Act of 1935, as amended, from the fifteen per cent cap.
(1) This exclusion covers the costs for salaries and benefits of staff who develop, maintain, support or operate the portions of information technology or computer systems used for the tracking and monitoring.
(2) The exclusion also covers the costs of contracts for development, maintenance, support, or operation of those portions of information technology or computer systems used for the tracking or monitoring.
(G) The federal TANF definition of "administrative costs'' specifically excludes the direct costs associated with activities and contracts that provide program services. Costs associated with TANF administration shall not be charged to the TANF regular allocation as contained in rule 5101:9-6-08 of the Administrative Code.
(H) The CDJFS claims administrative costs through the random moment sample (RMS) process as described in rule 5101:9-7-20 of the Administrative Code. The CDJFS reports direct expenditures described in rule 5101:9-7-29 of the Administrative Code.
(I) The CDJFS may request to transfer available TANF administration funding to the TANF regular allocation to be used as described in paragraphs (G) and (H) of rule 5101:9-6-08 of the Administrative Code.
(J) Allocation redistribution is available pursuant to rule 5101:9-6-02 of the Administrative Code. The definitions, requirements, and responsibilities contained in rule 5101:9-6-50 of the Administrative Code are applicable to this rule.
Replaces: 5101:9-6- 08.8
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 01/13/2023
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5107.05
Rule Amplifies: 5107.05
Prior Effective Dates: 10/01/2009 (Emer.), 12/30/2009, 08/24/2012 (Emer.), 11/16/2012