(A) Each full service jail shall have a written prisoner classification system that specifies the criteria and procedures for determining and changing the classification of prisoners to determine the level of custody required, special needs, housing assignment and participation in programming. Each minimum security jail, as defined in rule 5120:1-7-02(A)(4) of the Administrative Code, shall have a written prisoner classification system that limits prisoners housed in the facility to those sentenced or transferred by order of a judge for a traffic offense, misdemeanor or felony of the fourth or fifth degree that are not offenses of violence as defined in section 2901.01(A)(9) of the Revised Code. The classification system shall include the evaluation of each prisoner to determine whether the prisoner is suitable to be housed in the minimum security facility. Determination to transfer a prisoner from the minimum security jail shall be made by the jail administrator or designee based on the best interests of the prisoner, staff and/or the safe, secure operation of the jail.
(B) Each full service jail shall have written policies and procedures, and practices which evidence, compliance with the following standards:
(1) Male and female prisoners are housed separately by sight, touch and out of range of normal conversation.
(2) Violent and non-violent prisoners are not placed in the same cell or unsupervised areas together.
(3) Male and female prisoners are supervised if placed together for purposes of programming, transportation or other similar activities.
(4) Juvenile and adult prisoners are separated in a manner consistent with section 2151.312 of the Revised Code.
(5) Jails using prisoner workers shall evaluate and select workers based on established criteria.
(6) Prisoners participating in work or educational release programs shall be housed separately from the general population.
(C) Juveniles shall not be held in a minimum security jail.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5120.01, 5120.10
Rule Amplifies: 5120.10
Prior Effective Dates: 7/1/94, 6/2/86, 1/2/81, 9/10/98, 1/1/2003