(A) (Essential) The jail shall provide all inmates with hygiene articles at initake and replacement items to indigent inmates.
(B) (Essential) All areas of a full service jail shall be safe and sanitary, including the food service and laundry areas. Staff and inmates shall have specific housekeeping responsibilities, which shall include, but are not limited to daily cleaning of toilets, urinals, sinks, drinking facilities and showers in areas occupied by inmates and disposal of garbage.
(C) (Essential) Monthly sanitation, vermin and safety inspections of all areas shall be done by a designated trained staff person.
(D) (Important) Regular maintenance and repairs shall occur.
(E) (Essential) The jail shall be inspected annually by local or state health authorities and a written report shall be provided. There shall be a written plan to correct jail-related deficiencies.
(F) (Important) All grounds, walkways, driveways and parking areas shall be illuminated at night.
(G) The jails shall maintain documentation that the following standards are met with regard to interior lighting:
(1) (Important) At least twenty foot-candles, measured thirty inches above the floor, in inmate reading areas.
(2) (Important) At least fifteen foot-candles, measured thirty inches above the floor, in inmate accessible areas.
(3) (Important) Lighting in inmate sleeping areas shall be reducible to between two and four foot-candles, measured thirty inches above the floor.
(H) The jail shall maintain documentation that the following standards are met with regard to bedding, linens and clothing:
(1) (Important) Bedding and mattresses shall be in good repair and cleaned prior to being reissued;
(2) (Important) Clean bed linens and towels shall be exchanged once weekly. Issuance of clean linens and towels shall be documented;
(3) (Important) Issued clothing shall be exchanged or laundered twice weekly. Arrangements are made to exchange or launder personal clothing and undergarments twice weekly;
(4) (Important) Blankets shall be cleaned or exchanged once a month;
(5) (Important) Mattresses shall be cleaned monthly;
(6) (Important) Bedding, mattresses, towels and clothing shall be exchanged or cleaned when soiled.
(I) (Important) Each inmate shall be provided the opportunity for a hot shower not to exceed forty-eight hours.
(J) (Important) The jail shall make provisions for inmate haircuts.
(K) (Important) Shaving equipment and supplies shall be made available daily. Issuance and retreival of shaving equipment and supplies shall be documented.
(L) (Essential) The jail shall be inspected annually by a certified local or state fire safety inspector applying the applicable jurisdictional and Ohio Fire Code. The jail shall have a written plan to correct any jail-related deficiencies. The jail shall maintain documentation of the inspections and any corrective measures taken.
(M) (Essential) The jail shall have a written fire safety plan approved by local fire officials, and that is reviewed annually and updated as needed. The plan shall include fire prevention, training and drills, fire response and post-fire documentation and review. A current copy of the plan shall be maintained at the local fire department.
(N) (Important) Training in jail fire safety equipment shall be conducted annually.
(O) (Essential) Fire drills shall be conducted every three months on each shift.
(P) (Essential) Jail furnishings shall meet fire safety performance standards.
(Q) (Essential) Jail exits shall be clear and evacuation routes shall be posted or clearly marked throughout the jail.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 01/29/2014 and 01/10/2019
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5120.01, 5120.10
Rule Amplifies: 5120.10
Prior Effective Dates: 1/2/81, 6/2/86, 7/1/94, 9/21/98, 1/1/2003