(A) Appointing authorities within the department of rehabilitation and correction shall have authority to appoint, select, promote, transfer, reinstate, reduce, discipline and remove employees of the department pursuant to section 5120.01 of the Revised Code, and in accordance with this rule. The appointing authorities within the department of rehabilitation and correction shall be as follows:
(1) The director. The director shall appoint all deputy directors, division chiefs, chief of the division of parole and community services, managing officers, deputy wardens, executive staff, and any employee with a fiduciary relationship to the director. These employees shall serve in the unclassified civil service at the pleasure of the director.
(2) The deputy director of each operation support center division or bureau. The deputy director of each operation support center division or bureau shall select, appoint, discipline and remove employees within their division or bureau with the director's approval.
(3) The managing officer of each institution, for that institution.
(4) The deputy director of the division of parole and community services, for that division, including the adult parole authority.
(5) The managing officer of the corrections training academy for all probationary employees while attending the academy for employee orientation training. For the purposes of this rule, the corrections training academy shall be considered an institution under the control of the department.
(6) In an appointing authority's absence, an appointing authority may appoint an acting appointing authority who shall have the same authority to act within this rule.
(B) The appointing authority may discipline employees in the classified and unclassified service pursuant to section 124.34 of the Revised Code and any applicable collective bargaining agreement for any department code of conduct violation, for criminal behavior, and for violation of any policy of the department of rehabilitation and correction or department of administrative services.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 01/09/2014 and 01/08/2019
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5120.01
Rule Amplifies: 5120.38, 5120.39, 5149.09, 124.11, 124.34, 5120.381, 5120.382
Prior Effective Dates: 7/18/1983, 11/13/1976, 8/1/2002, 4/1/09