(B) The inspector of institutional services, (hereinafter referred to as the IIS,) of each institution shall have the responsibility of investigating inmate complaints of use of force by a staff member, where no report was filed.
(C) In the event of a complaint by an inmate of use of force, where no use of force report was made, the following procedure shall apply:
(1) Any inmate complaint of use of force, whether oral or written, received by any staff member, shall be immediately forwarded to the IIS. If the inmate complaint is oral, the staff member receiving the complaint shall document it in an incident report and forward a copy to the IIS.
(2) Regardless of the manner in which a complaint of use of force is received, the staff member receiving the report shall insure that a prompt medical examination is made of the inmate upon who the use of force was allegedly used.
(3) Upon receipt of a complaint of a use of force, the IIS shall interview the inmate, the staff member(s) allegedly involved and any other witnesses the IIS deems necessary to determine if a use of force occurred.
(4) If the IIS determines that a use of force did occur the IIS shall require that appropriate use of force reports be filed.
(5) The IIS shall prepare a report for the warden, which will include his or her findings, a summary of the evidence upon which the finding was based, and any and all relevant documentation, such as the inmate's written complaint, incident reports, and or use of force reports.
(6) The managing officer shall then take action consistent with rule 5120-9-02 of the Administrative Code.
Prior History: (Effective:
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 01/12/2014
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5120.01
Rule Amplifies: 5120.05
Prior Effective Dates: 12-31-76, 7-1-04, 8-19-04 )