(A) Twelve day jails shall provide prisoners with sufficient space. The facility shall maintain documentation regarding square footage and maximum occupancy figures for all housing and holding areas, and shall comply with the following minimum requirements:
(1) Holding cells:
(a) Sixty square feet for one to three occupants with twenty square feet for each additional occupant up to six occupants.
(2) Housing cells:
(a) Seventy square feet for single occupancy.
(b) One hundred square feet with seven feet least dimension for double occupancy, stacked bunks, one hundred and ten square feet with nine feet least dimension for double occupancy, single bunks.
(c) One hundred and forty five square feet with nine feet least dimension for triple occupancy, stacked bunks and a single bunk; one hundred and seventy square feet with twelve feet least dimension for triple occupancy, single bunks.
(d) One hundred and eighty square feet with nine feet least dimension for quadruple occupancy, two stacked bunks, two hundred and fifteen square feet with twelve least dimension for quadruple occupancy, single bunks.
(3) Dormitory sleeping space:
(a) Fifty square feet per occupant.
(a) Thirty five square feet per number of occupants occupying the dayspace at one time. Minimum size of one hundred and five square feet.
(B) Seating shall be provided in holding areas, holding cells, housing cells, dormitories, dayrooms and eating areas for each prisoner.
(C) Single cells/rooms and multiple occupancy cells/rooms/dormitories shall provide the following:
(1) Air circulation of twenty cubic feet of outside or re-circulated filtered air per minute per occupant or as required by the local authority having jurisdiction. Documentation from a qualified source shall be maintained by the facility.
(2) Temperatures shall be maintained in a range between sixty-six to eighty degrees Fahrenheit.
(3) Sanitation facilities shall include access to an operable flush toilet and lavatory with hot and cold potable water on a twenty-four hour a day basis without staff assistance.
(D) In prisoner housing areas, the following shall be provided unless otherwise determined by local authority having jurisdiction:
(1) Toilet facilities at a minimum of one operable toilet for every twelve occupants.
(2) Shower facilities at a minimum of one operable shower for every twelve occupants. Water temperatures shall be controlled thermostatically in a range from one hundred and five to one hundred and twenty degrees Fahrenheit.
(3) One operable wash basin with hot and cold potable water for every twelve occupants.
(4) Noise levels shall not exceed seventy decibels in daytime and forty five decibels at night. Noise levels shall be documented using a sound level meter set to the A-scale (decibels.)
(E) Natural light shall be provided in housing units, dorms, cells and/or dayspaces.
(F) Male and female prisoners shall be separated by sight, out of range of normal conversation, and touch.
(G) Juvenile prisoners shall be separated by touch from adult prisoners.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5120.01, 5120.10
Rule Amplifies: 5120.10
Prior Effective Dates: 1/2/81, 1/1/83, 6/1/91, 9/21/98, 1/1/2003, 7/1/2005