(A) The following standards are mandatory:
(1) Written policy, procedure and practice shall provide that an adequate diet including snacks, when provided by the center, incorporating the four basic food groups based on the most recent dietary allowance is provided to all children. Menus are reviewed annually by the responsible health care authority or a licensed dietitian.
(2) Written policy and procedure shall provide that any CRC housing residents in need of medically prescribed therapeutic diets shall have documentary evidence that such diets are provided as ordered by the responsible health care authority. The facility administrator shall certify the administration of the meals as ordered.
(3) Written policy shall prohibit meals and/or snacks being used in any punitive manner as a consequence of behavior.
(4) Written policy and procedure shall specify that food service shall be properly supervised and shall comply with the applicable sanitation and health code as promulgated by federal, state and local authorities.
(5) Written policy and procedure shall specify that children shall be encouraged to eat a variety of food served, but no child shall be subjected to coercion, including forced feeding for refusing to eat, unless for medical or treatment-related reasons.
(B) The following standards are recommended:
(1) Written policy, procedure and practice shall provide that there shall not be more than fourteen hours between meals and at least three meals and a snack shall be made available at regular times during each twenty-four-hour period. At least one of these meals shall be a hot meal.
(2) Written policy, procedure and practice shall designate that each facility shall have a person on staff responsible for the overall preparation and distribution of all meals assuring the utilization of acceptable food handling practices. Menus are reviewed annually by a licensed dietitian or health care authority.
(3) The food service plan shall provide for a single menu for staff and children.
(4) Menus shall be planned at least a week in advance and shall be on a three-week or longer cycle. Records of food purchased and menus shall be retained for one year.
(5) Upon reasonable request, food shall be provided to a child when he/she is admitted to a CRC.