(A) The following standards are mandatory:
(1) Written policy and procedure and practice provide that an adequate diet including snacks, when provided, incorporate the four basic food groups based on the most recent dietary allowance is provided to all children. Menus are reviewed and approved annually by the responsible health care authority or a registered dietitian.
(2) Written policy and procedure and practice provide that there shall not be more than fourteen hours between meals and at least three meals and a snack shall be made available at regular times during each twenty-four hour period. At least one of these meals shall be a hot meal.
(3) Written policy and procedure shall provide that any detention center housing residents in need of medically prescribed therapeutic diets shall have documentary evidence that such diets are provided as ordered by the responsible health care authority. The detention center director and/or designee shall document the administration of the meals as ordered.
(4) Written policy prohibits meals and/or snacks being used in any punitive manner as a consequence of behavior.
(5) Written policy and procedure specify that food service shall be properly supervised and shall comply with applicable sanitation and health code as promulgated by federal, state, and local authorities.
(B) The following standards are recommended:
(1) Written policy and procedure shall designate that each detention center shall have a person on staff or contract with an outside agency responsible for the overall preparation and distribution of all meals assuring the utilization of acceptable food handling practices.
(2) The food service plan provides for a single menu for residents and staff.
(3) Menus shall be planned at least a week in advance. Records of food purchased and menus shall be filed for one year.
(4) Upon reasonable request, a snack may be provided to a child when admitted to a detention center.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 5139.04
Rule Amplifies: 5139.04 , 5139.281
Prior Effective Dates: 12/11/1988, 11/03/2004, 10/20/2007, 1/30/2009