(A) The following standard is mandatory:
(1) Admission to detention and release shall be pursuant to and in accordance with the laws of arrest and / or in accordance to a court order.
(2) Upon entering a detention center, any youth being integrated into the general population, shall be visually observed while changing into clothing that is required to be worn within the detention center.
(3) Written policy and procedure shall provide for the mandatory reporting of child abuse. Staff will look for signs of abuse upon admission.
(B) The following standards are recommended:
(1) Written policy and procedure require that all admitted children, except those excluded for security or safety reasons, join a living unit not later than three hours after admission.
(2) Written policy and procedure for admission to detention shall be developed by the appropriate authority as designated by the Revised Code. Such statement shall include but not be limited to:
(a) Criteria for determining whether to release or to detain juveniles; and who will make this decision.
(b) Procedure and descriptions of alternatives to detention.
(c) One employee shall be designated on duty in-house and empowered with hold/release authority.
(3) Written policy and procedure shall require that a designated employee be responsible for notification to parents, guardians, custodians (individual or agency) of the children being detained in their center.
(4) Written policy and procedure shall require that after the admission of a child, the detention center shall attempt to verify prescribed medications and the proper dosages of these medications. Staff shall ensure that the medications are administered at the time intervals prescribed by the appropriate medical authority.
(5) Written policy and procedure require that each child be afforded the opportunity to shower and be provided clean clothing upon admission.
(6) Written policy and procedure shall require that upon admission, each child shall be provided written orientation material which explains behavior expectations, privileges, rights and responsibilities, the contents of the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 and how to access medical services and disaster procedures while a resident of the center.
(7) All releases shall be approved by the court of competent jurisdiction or other appropriate authority.