Chapter 5139-70 Registration of Non-Profit Faith-Based Organizations
(A) Nonprofit faith-based, business, professional, civic, educational, and community organizations that wish to enter institutions under the control of the department of youth services for the purpose of providing reentry services to youth shall be first registered with the department upon the approval of the director or their designee. For the purposes of this rule, the department shall refer to the department of youth services. Reentry services may include, but are not limited to, counseling, housing, job-placement, education, mentoring, family engagement, health and wellness, legal and money management assistance.
(B) For the purposes of registration with the department, the nonprofit organization shall submit a written application, in a form or manner as determined by the department, for the purposes of screening. The application shall include the following information:
(1) The name of the organization;
(2) The principal contact person, including the person's affiliation with the organization;
(3) The physical and mailing address for the organization;
(4) A statement regarding the organization's history, mission and objectives, and;
(5) A statement regarding what reentry services the organization can provide and how the organization will present these services within an institution.
(C) A nonprofit organization may be registered with the department to provide reentry services to youth if it can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the department the following:
(1) A commitment to the principles of youth reentry, with regard for the rights of victims and public safety;
(2) A commitment to comply with the department's administrative rules and policies regarding security, visitation, and volunteers in the institutions;
(3) The ability to consistently provide reentry services to the targeted youth population who will be identified through an agreement with the department; (i.e. years of servicing youth)
(4) A continuing commitment to provide reentry services in a manner that is professional, respectful of both youth and department staff, and will not bring discredit to the department or the state of Ohio. References would be accepted for this criteria;
(5) All prospective volunteers shall undergo a LEADS background check before being approved and registered with the department.
(D) The decision of the director or their designee regarding the registration of a nonprofit organization to provide reentry services is solely within the discretion of the director The director may consider any factor the director deems relevant regarding the suitability of the organization to be registered of a nonprofit organization. If, in the judgment of the director, the organization has compromised the safety and security of an institution, failed to abide by the rules and policies of the department, or otherwise been found unsuitable to provide reentry services the organization may have their registration revoked.
(E) The department shall maintain, on its internet web site, a list of the nonprofit faith-based, business, professional, civic, educational, and community organizations that are registered with the department under this rule. The department shall post an agency telephone number on the department's official internet web site that nonprofit organizations may call to obtain information.
(F) The department shall not endorse or sponsor any faith-based reentry program or endorse any specific religious message. The department may not require a youth to participate in a faith-based program.