(A) All food processing establishments processing juice, including juice products to be used as an ingredient, shall comply with Chapter 901:3-23 and Chapter 901:3-1 of the Administrative Code. Except as specified in paragraph (B) of this rule these rules become applicable upon final adoption by the director of agriculture.
(B) For small businesses employing fewer than five hundred persons these rules are binding on January 21, 2003. For very small businesses that have either total annual sales of less than five hundred thousand dollars, or if their total annual sales are greater than five hundred thousand dollars but their total food sales are less than fifty thousand dollars; or the person claiming this exemption employed fewer than an average of one hundred full-time equivalent employees and fewer than one hundred thousand units of juice were sold in the United States, these rules are binding on January 20, 2004.
As used in Chapter 901:3-23 of the Administrative Code:
(1) "Cleaned" means washed with water of adequate sanitary quality.
(2) "Control" means to prevent, eliminate, or reduce.
(3) "Control measure" means any action or activity to prevent, reduce to acceptable levels, or eliminate a hazard.
(4) "Corrective action plan" means a plan that describes the steps to be taken and assigns responsibility for those steps as they pertain to a particular deviation from the HACCP plan.
(5) "Critical control point" means a point, step, or procedure in a food process at which a control measure can be applied and at which control is essential to reduce an identified food hazard to an acceptable level.
(6) "Critical limit" means the maximum or minimum value to which a physical, biological, or chemical parameter must be controlled at a critical control point to prevent, eliminate, or reduce to an acceptable level the occurrence of the identified food hazard.
(7) "Culled" means separation of damaged fruit from undamaged fruit. For processors of citrus juices using treatments to fruit surfaces to comply with rule 901:3-23-09 of the Administrative Code, culled means undamaged, tree-picked fruit that is U.S. department of agriculture choice or higher quality.
(8) "Food hazard" means any biological, chemical, or physical property that is reasonably likely to cause illness or injury in the absence of its control.
(9) "HACCP" means hazard analysis and critical control point.
(10) "Juice" means the aqueous liquid expressed or extracted from one or more fruits or vegetables, purees of the edible portions of one or more fruits or vegetables, or any concentrates of such liquid or puree.
(11) "mL" means milliliter.
(12) "Monitor" means to conduct a planned sequence of observations or measurements to assess whether a process, point, or procedure is under control and to produce an accurate record for use in verification.
(a) Means activities that are directly related to the production of juice products.
(b) Does not include:
(i) A retail food establishment or food service operation defined in section 3717.01 of the Revised Code where the juice produced is only sold or served from that premises; or
(ii) Harvesting, picking, or transporting raw agricultural ingredients of juice products without otherwise engaging in processing.
(14) "Processor" means any person engaged in commercial, custom, or institutional processing of juice products, A processor includes any person engaged in the processing of juice products that are to be used in market or consumer tests.
(15) "Shelf-stable product" means a product that is hermetically sealed in accordance with Chapter 901:3-3 of the Administrative Code and when stored at room temperature should not demonstrate any microbial growth.
(16) "Validation" means that element of verification focused on collecting and evaluating scientific and technical information to determine whether the HACCP plan, when properly implemented, will effectively control the identified food hazards.
(17) "Verification" means those activities, other than monitoring, that establish the validity of the HACCP plan and that the system is operating according to the plan.