(A) The following requirements shall apply where the jump space is over land.
(1) All jumps require the use of an air bag or net certified by the manufacturer to be capable of absorbing a falling body from the height of the jump point.
(2) The sizing of the air bag or net shall be as follows:
HEIGHT OF JUMP: MINIMUM SIZE
70-100 feet 500 square feet (20 x 25)
100-150 feet 800 square feet (23 x 35)
150-200 feet 1000 square feet (25 x 40)
(3) The air bag shall be in position before jumper preparation commences on the platform.
(4) Upon completion of a jump, the jumper shall be lowered into a landing area.
(5) The landing area shall be free of spectators at all times.
(6) The jump zone shall be free of any equipment or staff when a jumper is being prepared on the jump platform and until the jumper lands on the landing pad.
(7) A place for the jumper to sit and recover should be provided close to, but outside the landing area.
(B) The following requirements shall apply where the jump space is over a body of water:
(1) A recovery vessel shall be positioned to recover jumpers.
(2) The vessel shall be equipped with coast guard approved life jackets and rescue equipment. The vessel operators shall wear required life jackets.
(3) The jump space shall be free of other vessels, floating objects, submerged objects, the public, and any spectators. When the landing vessel is in open water, it shall be defined by the deployment of buoys. A sign of appropriate size which reads "bungee jumping-keep clear" shall be displayed.
(C) Where the landing area is part of a constructed swimming pool complex or is specially constructed for bungee jumping, the following shall apply:
(1) The pool size shall meet the requirements for the jump area size.
(2) The minimum water depth shall be twelve feet.
(3) Rescue equipment shall be available.
(4) The jump space and landing area shall be fenced.
(5) Only the operators and participants of the bungee jump shall be within the jump space and landing area.
(D) The defined area shall be enclosed by a fence of adequate height and design as to prevent people, animals and objects from entering the landing area.
Prior History: (R.C. 119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 1711.53
Rule Amplifies: 1711.53
Prior Effective Dates: 08/27/92 )