(A) Sheep imported into Ohio for breeding purposes shall:
(1) Be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection, as defined in paragraph (D) of rule 901:1-17-02 of the Administrative Code, issued within thirty days prior to entry and be identified with official individual identification; and
(2) Show no symptoms of infectious or contagious diseases; and
(3) The owner and veterinarian must attest to the following statement written on the certificate of veterinary inspection: "the sheep in this shipment are not known to be under any movement restrictions because of scrapie"; and
(4) The consignee, upon request by an authorized representative of the Ohio department of agriculture, shall provide information about the flock of birth of the animals in the shipment.
(B) Sheep imported into Ohio for feeding purposes shall:
(1) Be accompanied by a permit number issued prior to entry or certificate of veterinary inspection issued within thirty days prior to entry forwarded to the state of destination. (The identification listed on the permit or certificate may be the number of lambs in the shipment, sex of lambs, the type lambs, and approximate weight); and
(2) Be quarantined to premises of destination until the animals move to immediate slaughter unless the sheep comply with paragraph (B)(6) of this rule; and
(3) Be officially identified if eighteen months of age or greater; and
(4) Are not known to be under any movement restrictions because of scrapie; and
(5) Sheep which are designated for feeding and grazing and are not in compliance with paragraphs (B)(1) to (B)(4) of this rule must meet the requirements of paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(4) of rule 901:1-17-08 of the Administrative Code(import requirements for breeding sheep); and
(6) Sheep imported into Ohio for feeding or grazing may be later utilized for breeding purposes with a permit from the chief, division of animal industry, which may stipulate requirements.
(C) Any persons wishing to import into Ohio sheep which do not meet the requirements of this rule may apply to the chief, division of animal healthfor a permit as provided in paragraph (P) of rule 901:1-17-01 of the Administrative Code.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 901:1-17-08
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/13/2015
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 941.03
Rule Amplifies: 941.10
Prior Effective Dates: 12/2/72, 6/15/98, 3/19/99, 8/15/01, 4/11/2005