(A) Notice by publication.
(1) Notices in general. All notices required or authorized by section 903.09 of the Revised Code shall be published once in a newspaper having general circulation in the county in which the facility is located or proposed to be located. Publication shall be done at least thirty days prior to a public meeting, provided that publication shall be done at least forty-five days prior to a public meeting for any draft permit to install or draft NPDES permit subject to an antidegradation review. Public notice is complete upon publication.
Public notice will be given for any draft general permit to be issued by the director. Since general permits are written to cover categories of discharges within a geographic or political area, the director may give one or more notices in newspapers of general circulation for those geographic or political areas identified in the general permit.
(2) Additional requirements for NPDES information. The department shall publish a public notice within thirty days regarding receipt of a NPDES permit application and permit to install for which an antidegradation review is applicable. The
purpose of public notice for a draft permit to install and a draft NPDES permit for which an antidegradation review is applicable shall be: to inform other potentially affected persons; to allow for inspection and review of the applications; to indicate whether any of the exclusions or waivers within the antidegradation rules apply to the applications; to instruct interested persons to contact the director within thirty days if they want to be on the interested parties mailing list as described in rule 901:10-6-05 of the Administrative Code for that particular permit to install or NPDES permit application; and to advertise the date, time, and place of any public meeting required under division (C) of section 903.09 of the Revised Code.
(3) The department shall give public notice of the issuance of a review compliance certificate issued pursuant to division (F) of section 903.04 of the Revised Code only to persons who own property that is contiguous to the facility for which the review compliance certificate is issued.
(4) The director shall publish notice of the issuance of a final permit once in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the facility is located.
(5) The director shall give public notice of the proposed action to deny, suspend, or revoke a permit to install, permit to operate, or NPDES permit, or for any actions pursuant to section 903.17 of the Revised Code.
(B) Notice by mail.
(1) The director shall mail notice of the issuance of a draft permit and a copy of the draft permit to the applicant or owner or operator and to the board of county commissioners of the county, the board of township trustees of the township, the local board of health and the local soil and water conservation district in which the facility is located or proposed to be located. The director shall also notify owners or operators of public water systems as that term is defined in section 6109.01 of the Revised Code that have a surface water intake structure located within ten miles downstream of the facility or proposed facility described in the draft permit.
(2) In addition, if an antidegradation review of a NPDES permit application indicates the potential to lower water quality, the director shall provide notice by mail to the Ohio department of natural resources, the United States fish and wildlife service, any affected local areawide planning agencies and the Ohio department of development.
(3) The director shall mail notice of the proposed action to deny, suspend, or revoke a permit to install, permit to operate, or NPDES permit to the applicant or owner or operator and a copy of the proposed action to the board of county commissioners of the county and the board of township trustees of the township in which the facility is located or proposed to be located. The director shall also provide notice of the proposed action to deny, suspend, or revoke a NPDES permit to any other persons that are entitled to notice under the Federal Water Pollution Control Act.
(4) Notices shall be mailed by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the person subject thereto. Notices shall state the time and method by which the applicant or permit holder may request public meeting. A statement as to when a final permit will be issued may accompany draft permits.
(a) If a draft permit or proposed action is issued with an effective date and the permit is later signed by the director without being changed further, the department need not, at the time of entry, provide notice or a copy of the permit to the person subject thereto.
(b) If a draft permit or proposed action is issued without an effective date, and the department later assigns an effective date without changing the action further, the department shall mail notice to the person subject thereto informing the person of the effective date.
(5) If the applicable law grants a right to appeal the final permit or order of the director to the environmental review appeals commission, mailings required by this paragraph shall be accompanied by a notice stating the time and method by which the appeal must be filed.
(C) Notice of a public meeting is not required for the modification of a permit made with the consent of the permittee for the correction of typographical errors.
(D) The director may also hold a public meeting at the director's discretion, whenever, for example, such a public meeting might clarify one or more issues involved in the permit decision.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/21/2014 and 06/08/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 903.08 , 903.10
Rule Amplifies: 903.01 , 903.02 , 903.03 , 903.04 , 903.07 , 903.08 , 903.081 , 903.082 , 903.09 , 903.10 , 903.17
Prior Effective Dates: 1/23/2009, 9/15/2005, 7/2/2002