(A) Each processor shall develop, or have developed for it, a written hazard analysis to determine whether there are food hazards that are reasonably likely to occur for each type of juice processed by that processor and to identify control measures that the processor can apply to control those hazards. The written hazard analysis shall consist of at least the following:
(1) Identification of food hazards;
(2) An evaluation of each food hazard identified to determine if the hazard is reasonably likely to occur and thus, constitutes a food hazard that must be addressed in the HACCP plan. A food hazard that is reasonably likely to occur is one for which a processor would establish controls because experience, illness data, scientific reports, or other information provide a basis to conclude that there is a reasonable possibility that, in the absence of those controls, the food hazard will occur in the particular type of product being processed. This evaluation shall include an assessment of the severity of the illness or injury if the food hazard occurs;
(3) Identification of the control measures that the processor can apply to control the food hazards identified as reasonably likely to occur in paragraph (A)(2) of this rule;
(4) Review of the current process to determine whether modifications are necessary; and
(5) Identification of critical control points.
(B) The hazard analysis shall include food hazards that can be introduced both within and outside the processing plant environment, including food safety hazards that can occur before, during, and after harvest. The hazard analysis shall be conducted by an individual or individuals who have been trained in accordance with rule 901:3-23-08 of the Administrative Code and shall be subject to the record keeping requirements of rule 901:3-23-07 of the Administrative Code.
(C) HACCP plans for juice need not address the food hazards associated with microorganisms and microbial toxins that are controlled by the requirements of Chapters 901:3-3 and 901:3-5 of the Administrative Code. A HACCP plan for such juice shall address any other food hazards that are reasonably likely to occur.
Prior History: (Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3715.02; 3715.021
Rule Amplifies: 3715.27
Prior Effective Dates: 4/28/2003)