(A) Except as specified in paragraph (B) of this rule, all packaging shall be:
(1) Made of food grade materials;
(2) Clean prior to filling and free of water at the time of filling;
(3) Free from rust on food contact surfaces and not contain any substances or be constructed from any material which could damage either the color or flavor of maple syrup;
(4) Constructed with an air tight closing mechanism;
(5) Filled with not less than ninety per cent of their capacity.
(B) Canning containers designed for reuse shall be washed and sanitized prior to refilling. Closures shall not be reused.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 6/16/2017 and 09/02/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3715.24
Rule Amplifies: 3715.24 , 3715.25, 3715.59, 3715.60
Prior Effective Dates: 5/1/1998, 2/15/2004