(A) Food processing establishments processing acidified foods in hermetically sealed containers shall comply with Chapter 901:3-5 of the Administrative Code and Chapter 901:3-1 of the Administrative Code.
As used in Chapter 901:3-5 of the Administrative Code:
(1) "Acid foods" means foods that have a natural pH of 4.6 or below.
(2) "Acidified foods";
(a) Means low-acid foods that have a water activity (aw ) greater than 0.85 and have a finished equilibrium pH of 4.6 or belowto which acids or acid foods are added.
(b) Does not include carbonated beverages, jams, jellies, preserves, acid foods such as standardized and nonstandardized food dressings and condiment sauces that contain small amounts of low-acid food and have a resultant finished equilibrium pH that does not significantly differ from that of the predominant acid or acid food, or foods that are stored, distributed, and retailed under refrigeration are excluded from the coverage of this chapter.
(3) "Lot" means the food product produced during a period indicated by a specific code.
(4) "Low-acid foods" means any foods, other than alcoholic beverages, with a finished equilibrium pH greater than 4.6 and a water activity (aw ) greater than 0.85. Tomatoes and tomato products having a finished equilibrium pH less than 4.7 are not classed as low-acid foods.
(5) "pH" is the symbol for the negative logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration which is a measure of degree of acidity or alkalinity of a solution.
(6) "Scheduled process" means the process selected by a processor as adequate for use under the conditions of manufacture for a food in achieving and maintaining a food that will not permit the growth of microorganisms having public health significance. It includes control of pH and other critical factors equivalent to the process established by a processing authority.
(7) "Aw " means water activity which is a measure of the free moisture in a food and is the quotient of the water vapor pressure of the substance divided by the vapor pressure of pure water at the same temperature.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 04/02/2015 and 06/29/2020
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 913.04
Rule Amplifies: 913.03, 913.04
Prior Effective Dates: 12/23/1966, 04/28/2003