(A) Personnel platforms elevated by cranes which are used as bungee jump platforms shall be constructed and rigged according to the requirements of 29 CFR 1926.50 (December 2011). Where wire rope is used:
(1) Each bridle leg shall be connected to a master link or shackle;
(2) Wire rope with thimble eyes shall be used;
(3) Wire rope shall have a safety factor of five;
(4) Locking load hooks shall be used;
(5) Gates shall swing inward and shall be equipped with a latching device that prevents accidental opening;
(6) The personnel platform and attaching devices shall have a minimum design factor of five;
(7) The personnel platform shall have a plate specifying the weight of the empty personnel platform and the maximum number of persons and weight for which the personnel platform is rated; and
(8) At each new set-up, and at least annually, prior to hoisting personnel in the suspended personnel platform, the personnel platform, rigging, and hook block shall be proof tested to one hundred twenty-five per cent of the personnel platform's rated capacity by holding it in a suspended position for five minutes with the test load suitably distributed on the personnel platform. After proof testing, any deficiencies revealed by inspection by a qualified person shall be corrected and another proof test shall be conducted. Any modification to personnel platform or rigging shall require retesting of the personnel platform.
(B) A trial lift with the unoccupied personnel platform loaded at least to the anticipated liftweight shall be made from ground level, or any other location where personnel will enter the platform, to each location at which the personnel platform is to be hoisted and positioned. This trial lift shall be performed immediately prior to placing personnel on the platform. The operator shall determine that all systems, controls and safety devices are activated and functioning properly; that no interferences exist; and that all configurations necessary to reach those work locations will allow the operator to remain under the fifty per cent limit of the hoist's rated capacity. After a trial lift, and just prior to hoisting personnel, the platform shall be hoisted a few inches and inspected to ensure that it is secure and properly balanced. Personnel shall not be hoisted unless the following conditions are determined to exist:
(1) Hoist ropes are free of kinks;
(2) Multiple part lines are not be twisted around each other;
(3) The primary attachment is centered over the platform; and
(4) The hoisting system shall be inspected if the load rope is slack to ensure all ropes are properly seated on drums and in sheaves.
(C) The jump rigging shall be attached to the lifting system.
(D) The personnel platform shall be limited to a capacity of four persons.
(E) A grab rail shall be provided around the personnel platform.
(F) The sides of the personnel platform shall be enclosed from floor to midrail as defined under OSHA standards with rails.
(G) An open roof design of the personnel platform is optional for better visibility.
(H) Nothing shall be added to the personnel platform which affects it's stability in the wind.
(I) A jumper shall only jump perpendicular to the boom.
(J) If the personnel platform is accidentally lowered onto the cords, the cords shall be inspected before jumping is continued.
(K) In addition, all rules and regulations pertaining to the safe hoisting of personnel as specified by OSHA or other authorities must be complied with.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 07/08/2014 and 09/22/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 1711.53
Rule Amplifies: 1711.53
Prior Effective Dates: 08/27/1992 (Emer), 12/28/1992