(A) As used in this section, "relative" means a spouse, parent, parent-in-law, sibling, sibling-in-law, child, child-in-law, grandparent, aunt, or uncle.
(B) There is hereby created the Ohio cystic fibrosis legislative task force to study and make recommendations on issues pertaining to the care and treatment of individuals with cystic fibrosis. The task force shall study and make recommendations on the following issues:
(1) Use of prescription drug and innovative therapies under the program for medically handicapped children established under section 3701.023 of the Revised Code and the program for adults with cystic fibrosis administered by the department of health under division (G) of that section;
(2) Screening of newborn children for the presence of genetic disorders, as required under section 3701.501 of the Revised Code;
(3) Any other issues the task force considers appropriate.
(C) The task force shall consist of the following members, each with the authority to vote on matters before the task force:
(1) Three members of the senate: two appointed by the president of the senate from the majority party and one appointed by the minority leader of the senate;
(2) Three members of the house of representatives: two appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives from the majority party and one appointed by the minority leader of the house of representatives;
(3) Three members, at least two of whom have been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis or are relatives of individuals who have been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, appointed by the president of the senate;
(4) Three members, at least two of whom have been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis or are relatives of individuals who have been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.
Initial members shall be appointed not later than sixty days after the effective date of this section.
(D) Each member of the task force shall serve a one-year term that ends on the same day of the same month as did the term that it succeeds. Members may be reappointed.
(E) A vacancy shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration date of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office as a member for the remainder of that term.
A member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until a successor takes office or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first.
(F) Members of the task force shall elect a chair to serve a term of one year. A vacancy of the chair position shall be filled by election.
(G) Members of the task force shall receive no compensation, except to the extent that serving as a member is part of the individual's regular duties of employment and except for the reimbursement of expenses that may be provided under division (H) of this section.
(H) The task force may solicit and accept grants from public and private sources. Grant funds may be used to reimburse members for expenses incurred in the performance of official task force duties and to pursue initiatives pertaining to the care and treatment of individuals with cystic fibrosis.
(I) A majority of the members of the task force constitutes a quorum for the conduct of task force meetings.
Effective Date: 05-18-2005
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39,SB 171, §4