(A) A bank may invest, in the aggregate, twenty-five per cent of its assets in the stock, obligations, and other securities of bank subsidiary corporations and bank service corporations.
(B) A bank shall obtain the approval of the superintendent of financial institutions prior to investing in, acquiring, or establishing a bank subsidiary corporation or bank service corporation, or performing any new activities in a bank subsidiary corporation or bank service corporation.
(1) A bank subsidiary corporation may engage in any activities, except taking deposits, that are a part or an extension of the business of banking.
(2) A bank service corporation shall be owned solely by one or more depository institutions, and may, at any location, do any of the following:
(a) Provide clerical, bookkeeping, accounting, statistical, or similar services;
(b) Engage in any activities, except taking deposits, that all of its owner depository institutions are authorized to engage in;
(c) Engage in any activity, except taking deposits, the board of governors of the federal reserve system has determined to be permissible for a bank holding company under section 4(c)(8) of the "Bank Holding Company Act of 1956," as amended, 70 Stat. 133, 12 U.S.C.A. 1843(c)(8).
(D) Bank subsidiary corporations and bank service corporations are subject to examination and regulation by the superintendent.
(E) Only if the company in which the investment is to be made qualifies as either a bank subsidiary corporation or a bank service corporation under this section may a bank invest in securities pursuant to section 1109.39 of the Revised Code or make investments pursuant to section 1109.40 of the Revised Code that result in any of the following:
(1) The bank, directly or indirectly, or acting through one or more other persons, owns, controls, or has the power to vote twenty-five per cent or more of any class of voting securities of the company in which the investment is being made.
(2) The bank controls in any manner the election of a majority of the directors or trustees of the company in which the investment is being made.
(3) As determined by the superintendent after notice and opportunity for a hearing, the bank directly or indirectly exercises a controlling influence over the management or policies of the company in which the investment is being made.
Effective Date: 01-01-1997 .