In sections of the Revised Code making reference to savings and loan associations and to the division of savings and loan associations or the division of financial institutions:
(A) "Savings and loan association" means a corporation organized for the purpose of raising money to be loaned to its members or to others; "building and loan association" and "savings association" may be used interchangeably with and shall for all purposes have the same meaning as "savings and loan association"; and "division of building and loan associations" and "division of savings and loan associations" may be used interchangeably with and shall for all purposes have the same meaning as "division of financial institutions."
(B) "Controlling person" means any person or entity which, either directly or indirectly, or acting in concert with one or more other persons or entities, owns, controls, or holds with power to vote, or holds proxies representing, fifteen per cent or more of the voting shares or rights of a savings and loan association or controls in any manner the election or appointment of a majority of the directors of an association. However, a director of an association will not be deemed to be a controlling person of such association based upon the director's voting, or acting in concert with other directors in voting, proxies obtained in connection with a solicitation of proxies or obtained from savings account holders and borrowers if such proxies are voted as directed by a majority of the entire board of directors of the association, or of a committee of such directors if such committee's composition and authority are controlled by a majority vote of the entire board and if its authority is revocable by such a majority.
(C) "Domestic association" means a savings and loan association organized under the laws of this state or a savings association chartered under the laws of the United States, the home office of which is located within this state.
(D) "Foreign savings association" means a savings and loan association that is chartered under the laws of another state.
(E) "Foreign federal association" means a savings association chartered under the laws of the United States, the home office of which is located in another state.
(F) "Another state" means any state of the United States other than this state, and includes the District of Columbia and any other territory, insular possession, or political subdivision of the United States.
(G) "Banking office" means an office or other place at which a savings association receives money or its equivalent from the public for deposit and conducts the general business of a savings association. "Banking office" does not include any of the following:
(1) Any location at which a savings association receives, but does not accept, cash or other items for subsequent deposit, such as by mail or armored car service or at a lock box or night depository;
(2) Any structure located within five hundred yards of a banking office and operated as an extension of the services of the banking office;
(3) Any remote service unit or automated teller machine owned, leased, or operated by a savings association;
(4) Any facility located within the geographical limits of a military installation at which a savings association only accepts deposits and cashes checks;
(5) Any location at which a savings association takes and processes applications for loans and from which it may disburse loan proceeds, but does not accept deposits;
(6) Any location at which a savings association is engaged solely in providing administrative support services for its own operations or for other financial institutions.
(H) "Branch" means a banking office that is not also the savings association's principal office consistent with its articles of incorporation.
(I) "Superintendent," "superintendent of building and loan associations," or "superintendent of savings and loan associations" means the superintendent of the division of financial institutions of this state. Whenever the division or superintendent of savings and loan associations or building and loan associations is referred to or designated in any statute, rule, contract, or other document, the reference or designation shall be deemed to refer to the division or superintendent of financial institutions, as the case may be.
(J) "Savings bank" means a savings bank doing business under authority granted by the superintendent pursuant to Chapter 1161. of the Revised Code or under the regulatory authority of another state.
Cite as R.C. § 1151.01
History. Effective Date: 05-21-1997