(A) In sections of the Revised Code making reference to savings banks and to the division of savings banks or the division of financial institutions:
(1) "Savings bank" means a corporation that has its home office located in this state, that is organized for the purposes of receiving deposits and raising money to be loaned to its members or to others, and that maintains at least sixty per cent of its total assets in the housing-related and other investments set forth in section 7701(a)(19)(C) of the "Internal Revenue Code of 1986," 100 Stat. 2085, 26 U.S.C.A. 1 , as amended. "Savings bank" does not include banks, savings and loan associations, or credit unions.
(2) "Foreign savings bank" means a savings bank organized under the laws of another state, the home office of which is located outside this state.
(3) "Controlling person" means any person or entity which, either directly or indirectly, or acting in concert with one or more other persons or entities, owns, controls, or holds with power to vote, or holds proxies representing, fifteen per cent or more of the voting shares or rights of a savings bank or controls in any manner the election or appointment of a majority of the directors of a savings bank. However, a director of a savings bank is not deemed to be a controlling person of the savings bank based upon the director's voting, or acting in concert with other directors in voting, proxies obtained in connection with a solicitation of proxies or obtained from savings account holders and borrowers if such proxies are voted as directed by a majority of the entire board of directors of the savings bank, or of a committee of the directors if the committee's composition and authority are controlled by a majority vote of the entire board and if its authority is revocable by such a majority.
(4) "Division of savings banks" may be used interchangeably with, and for all purposes has the same meaning as, "division of financial institutions."
(5) "Another state" means any state of the United States other than this state, and includes the District of Columbia and any other territory, insular possession, or political subdivision of the United States.
(6) "Banking office" means an office or other place at which a savings bank receives money or its equivalent from the public for deposit and conducts the general business of a savings bank. "Banking office" does not include any of the following:
(a) Any location at which a savings bank receives, but does not accept, cash or other items for subsequent deposit, such as by mail or armored car service or at a lock box or night depository;
(b) Any structure located within five hundred yards of a banking office and operated as an extension of the services of the banking office;
(c) Any remote service unit or automated teller machine owned, leased, or operated by a savings bank;
(d) Any facility located within the geographical limits of a military installation at which a savings bank only accepts deposits and cashes checks;
(e) Any location at which a savings bank takes and processes applications for loans and from which it may disburse loan proceeds, but does not accept deposits;
(f) Any location at which a savings bank is engaged solely in providing administrative services for its own operations or for other financial institutions.
(7) "Branch" means a banking office that is not also the savings bank's principal office consistent with its articles of incorporation.
(8) "Superintendent" or "superintendent of savings banks" means the superintendent of the division of financial institutions of this state. Whenever the division or superintendent of savings banks is referred to or designated in any statute, rule, contract, or other document, the reference or designation shall be deemed to refer to the division or superintendent of financial institutions, as the case may be.
(B) For purposes of any chapter of the Revised Code, except Chapters 1101., 1103., 1105., 1107., 1109., 1111., 1113., 1115., 1117., 1119., 1121., 1123., 1125., 1127., 1133., 1151., 1153., 1155., 1157., 1161., 1163., 1165., and 1181. of the Revised Code, "building and loan association," "savings and loan association," or "financial institution" includes a savings bank as defined in section 1161.01 of the Revised Code, unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
Cite as R.C. § 1161.01
History. Effective Date: 05-21-1997