(1) Except as provided in division (B) of this section, the superintendent of financial institutions, his agents, and employees shall keep privileged and confidential the examination reports, information obtained in an examination, or any other information obtained by reason of their official position. This section does not prevent the superintendent from properly releasing to or exchanging information relating to a savings bank, or its affairs, with the governor, the director of commerce, the deputy director of commerce, or representatives of state or federal financial institution regulatory authorities, or prevent such release by the savings bank or its officers or directors, in the conduct of the business of the savings bank.
(2) Any person who receives privileged and confidential examination reports or other information under the authority of this section also is subject to the requirements of this section. No person, knowing that the examination reports or information are privileged and confidential, shall purposely divulge the reports or information in any manner.
(3) Neither the superintendent, nor any agent or employee of the superintendent, shall purposely make, or cause to be made, any false statements or reports regarding the affairs or condition of a savings bank.
(B) Examination reports, information obtained in an examination, and any other information obtained by reason of the official position of the division of financial institutions shall not be discoverable from any source, and shall not be introduced into evidence, except in the following situations:
(1) In connection with criminal proceedings;
(2) When, in the opinion of the superintendent, it is necessary for the superintendent, his agents, or employees to take enforcement action under this chapter or Chapter 1161. or 1165. of the Revised Code regarding the affairs of the savings bank examined;
(3) When litigation has been initiated by the superintendent in furtherance of the powers, duties, and obligations imposed upon the superintendent by this chapter or Chapter 1161. or 1165. of the Revised Code;
(4) When authorized by agreements between the superintendent and financial institution regulatory authorities of this and other states, the United States, and other countries authorized by section 1163.121 of the Revised Code;
(C) The discovery of examination reports and other related material pursuant to divisions (B)(2) and (3) of this section shall be limited to information that directly relates to the savings bank which is the subject of the enforcement action or the litigation.
(1) No person shall fail to comply with division (A)(1), (2), or (3) of this section.
(2) Whoever violates division (D)(1) of this section is guilty of a felony of the fourth degree.
Effective Date: 06-18-2002 .