As used in sections 121.60 to 121.69 of the Revised Code:
(B) "Expenditure" means any of the following that is made to, at the request of, for the benefit of, or on behalf of an elected executive official, the director of a department created under section 121.02 of the Revised Code, an executive agency official, or a member of the staff of any public officer or employee listed in this division:
(1) A payment, distribution, loan, advance, deposit, reimbursement, or gift of money, real estate, or anything of value, including, but not limited to, food and beverages, entertainment, lodging, transportation, or honorariums;
(2) A contract, promise, or agreement to make an expenditure, whether or not legally enforceable;
(3) The purchase, sale, or gift of services or any other thing of value. "Expenditure" does not include a contribution, gift, or grant to a foundation or other charitable organization that is exempt from federal income taxation under subsection 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. "Expenditure" does not include the purchase, sale, or gift of services or any other thing of value that is available to the general public on the same terms as it is available to the persons listed in this division, or an offer or sale of securities to any person listed in this division that is governed by regulation D, 17 C.F.R. 230.501 to 230.508 , adopted under the authority of the "Securities Act of 1933," 48 Stat. 74, 15 U.S.C.A. and following, or that is governed by a comparable provision under state law.
(C) "Employer" means any person who, directly or indirectly, engages an executive agency lobbyist.
(D) "Engage" means to make any arrangement, and "engagement" means arrangement, whereby an individual is employed or retained for compensation to act for or on behalf of an employer to influence executive agency decisions or to conduct any executive agency lobbying activity.
(E) "Financial transaction" means a transaction or activity that is conducted or undertaken for profit and arises from the joint ownership or the ownership or part ownership in common of any real or personal property or any commercial or business enterprise of whatever form or nature between the following:
(1) An executive agency lobbyist, the executive agency lobbyist's employer, or a member of the immediate family of the executive agency lobbyist or the executive agency lobbyist's employer; and
(2) Any elected executive official, the director of a department created under section 121.02 of the Revised Code, an executive agency official, or any member of the staff of a public officer or employee listed in division (E)(2) of this section.
"Financial transaction" does not include any transaction or activity described in division (E) of this section if it is available to the general public on the same terms, or if it is an offer or sale of securities to any person listed in division (E)(2) of this section that is governed by regulation D, 17 C.F.R. 230.501 to 230.508 , adopted under the authority of the "Securities Act of 1933," 48 Stat. 74, 15 U.S.C.A. and following, or that is governed by a comparable provision under state law.
(F) "Executive agency" means the office of an elected executive official, a department created under section 121.02 of the Revised Code, or any other state agency, department, board, or commission controlled or directed by an elected executive official or otherwise subject to an elected executive official's authority. For the purposes of sections 121.60 to 121.69 of the Revised Code only, "executive agency" includes the nonprofit corporation formed under section 187.01 of the Revised Code. "Executive agency" does not include any court, the general assembly, or the controlling board.
(G) "Executive agency decision" means a decision of an executive agency regarding the expenditure of funds of the state or of an executive agency with respect to the award of a contract, grant, lease, or other financial arrangement under which such funds are distributed or allocated, or a regulatory decision of an executive agency or any board or commission of the state. "Executive agency decision" does not include either of the following:
(1) A purchasing decision for which a vendor has filed a statement certifying that the vendor has not made campaign contributions in an amount such that section 3517.13 of the Revised Code would invalidate the decision, if that vendor has not engaged an executive agency lobbyist;
(2) The award of a competitively bid contract for which bid specifications were prepared and for which at least three eligible competitive bids were received by the executive agency.
(H) "Executive agency lobbyist" means any person engaged to influence executive agency decisions or to conduct executive agency lobbying activity as one of the person's main purposes on a regular and substantial basis. "Executive agency lobbyist" does not include an elected or appointed officer or employee of a federal or state agency, state college, state university, or political subdivision who attempts to influence or affect executive agency decisions in a fiduciary capacity as a representative of the officer's or employee's agency, college, university, or political subdivision.
(I) "Executive agency lobbying activity" means contacts made to promote, oppose, or otherwise influence the outcome of an executive agency decision by direct communication with any person described in division (E)(2) of this section, or the Ohio casino control commission. "Lobbying activity" does not include any of the following:
(1) The action of any person having a direct interest in executive agency decisions who, under Section 3 of Article I, Ohio Constitution, assembles together with other persons to consult for their common good, instructs a person listed in the first paragraph of division (I) of this section, or petitions such a person for the redress of grievances;
(2) Contacts made for the sole purpose of gathering information contained in a public record;
(3) Appearances before an executive agency to give testimony.
(J) "Executive agency official" means an officer or employee of an executive agency whose principal duties are to formulate policy or to participate directly or indirectly in the preparation, review, or award of contracts, grants, leases, or other financial arrangements with an executive agency.
(K) "Aggrieved party" means a party entitled to resort to a remedy.
(L) "Elected executive official" means the governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, auditor of state, treasurer of state, and the attorney general.
(M) "Staff" means any officer or employee of an executive agency whose official duties are to formulate policy and who exercises administrative or supervisory authority or who authorizes the expenditure of state funds.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.1, HB 1, §1, eff. 2/18/2011.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.38, HB 519, §1, eff. 9/10/2010.
Effective Date: 05-12-1994