(B) The board shall consist of ten members. The director of development or the director's designee shall be a voting member on the board. Seven members shall be appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate and selected because of their knowledge of and experience in industrial, business, and commercial financing, suretyship, construction, and their understanding of the problems of minority business enterprises; one member also shall be a member of the senate and appointed by the president of the senate, and one member also shall be a member of the house of representatives and appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives. With respect to the board, all of the following apply:
(1) Not more than four of the members of the board appointed by the governor shall be of the same political party.
(2) Each member shall hold office from the date of the member's appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed.
(3) The terms of office for the seven members appointed by the governor shall be for seven years, commencing on the first day of October and ending on the thirtieth day of September of the seventh year, except that of the original seven members, three shall be appointed for three years and two shall be appointed for five years.
(4) Any member of the board is eligible for reappointment.
(5) Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office for the remainder of the predecessor's term.
(6) Any member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office, or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first.
(7) Before entering upon official duties as a member of the board, each member shall take an oath as provided by Section 7 of Article XV, Ohio Constitution.
(9) Notwithstanding section 101.26 of the Revised Code, members shall receive their necessary and actual expenses while engaged in the business of the board and shall be paid at the per diem rate of step 1 of pay range 31 of section 124.15 of the Revised Code.
(10) Six members of the board constitute a quorum and the affirmative vote of six members is necessary for any action taken by the board.
(11) In the event of the absence of a member appointed by the president of the senate or by the speaker of the house of representatives, either of the following persons may serve in the member's absence:
(a) The president of the senate or the speaker of the house of representatives, whoever appointed the absent member;
(b) A member of the senate or of the house of representatives of the same political party as the absent member, as designated by the president of the senate or the speaker of the house of representatives, whoever appointed the absent member.
(12) The board shall annually elect one of its members as chairperson and another as vice-chairperson.
Effective Date: 06-30-1995; 09-29-2005; 06-30-2006
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §4
Note: The amendment to this section by 129th General AssemblyFile No.10, SB 5, §1 was rejected by voters in the November, 2011 election.