(A) There is hereby created the Ohio aerospace and aviation technology committee, consisting of the following members:
(1) Three members of the senate, appointed by the president of the senate, not more than two of whom may be members of the same political party;
(2) Three members of the house of representatives, appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives, not more than two of whom may be members of the same political party;
(3) Fifteen members representing the aviation, aerospace, or technology industry, the military, or academia. One such member shall be appointed by the governor, and fourteen such members shall be appointed by majority vote of the six members representing the senate and house of representatives.
The legislative members of the committee shall be appointed not later than September 1, 2014, and the remaining members shall be appointed within ten days thereafter. The initial term of all members shall end on December 31, 2016. Thereafter, the term of all members shall end on the thirty-first day of December of the year following the year of appointment. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner of the original appointment.
The first legislator appointed to the committee by the speaker of the house of representatives after the effective date of H.B. 292 of the 130th general assembly shall serve as the first chairperson of the committee and shall serve until December 31, 2016. Every general assembly thereafter, the chairperson shall alternate between the first legislator appointed by the president of the senate and the first legislator appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.
(B) The duties of the committee shall include, but are not limited to, all of the following:
(1) Studying and developing comprehensive strategies to promote the aviation, aerospace, and technology industry throughout the state, including through the commercialization of aviation, aerospace, and technology products and ideas;
(2) Encouraging communication and resource-sharing among individuals and organizations involved in the aviation, aerospace, and technology industry, including business, the military, and academia;
(3) Promoting research and development in the aviation, aerospace, and technology industry, including research and development of unmanned aerial vehicles;
(4) Providing assistance related to military base realignment and closure.
(C) The Ohio aerospace and aviation council shall serve as an advisory council to the committee.
(D) The committee shall compile an annual report of its activities, findings, and recommendations and shall furnish a copy of the report to the governor, president of the senate, and speaker of the house of representatives not later than July 1, 2015, and the first day of July of each year thereafter.
Added by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 292, §1, eff. 9/17/2014.