Part 4. Warehouse Receipts and Bills of Lading: General Obligations
(A) A bailee shall deliver the goods to a person entitled under a document of title if the person complies with divisions (B) and (C) of this section, unless and to the extent that the bailee establishes any of the following:
(1) delivery of the goods to a person whose receipt was rightful as against the claimant;
(2) damage to or delay, loss, or destruction of the goods for which the bailee is not liable ;
(3) previous sale or other disposition of the goods in lawful enforcement of a lien or on a warehouse's lawful termination of storage;
(4) the exercise by a seller of its right to stop delivery pursuant to section 1302.79 of the Revised Code or by a lessor of its right to stop delivery pursuant to section 1310.72 of the Revised Code;
(6) release, satisfaction, or any other personal defense against the claimant; or
(7) any other lawful excuse.
(B) A person claiming goods covered by a document of title shall satisfy the bailee's lien if the bailee so requests or if the bailee is prohibited by law from delivering the goods until the charges are paid.
(1) The person claiming under a document shall surrender possession or control of any outstanding negotiable document covering the goods for cancellation or indication of partial deliveries; and
(2) The bailee shall cancel the document or conspicuously indicate in the document the partial delivery or the bailee is liable to any person to which the document is duly negotiated.
Renumbered from § 1307.27 and amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 9, §1, eff. 6/29/2011.