131.39 Refunds.

If a state agency determines that all or a portion of a fee, fine, penalty, or other nontax payment made to the agency is not owed, the agency may refund, from the fund to which the payment was credited, the amount that is not owed. If the agency lacks sufficient unencumbered appropriations to make the refund, the agency may request the controlling board for authority to make the refund. The board may authorize the agency to make the refund upon a determination that the refund is due and that sufficient unencumbered money remains in the fund.

This section does not supersede any authority to refund a payment that an agency has under any other law.

Effective Date: 06-30-1999.