(A) Each mortgage loan originator licensee shall complete at least eight hours of continuing education every calendar year. To fulfill this requirement, the eight hours of continuing education must be offered in a course or program of study that includes all of the following:
(1) Three hours of applicable federal law and regulations;
(2) Two hours of ethics, which shall include instruction on fraud, consumer protection, and fair lending issues;
(3) Two hours of training related to lending standards for the nontraditional mortgage product marketplace.
(B) Continuing education courses shall be reviewed and approved by the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry based upon reasonable standards.
(C) The following conditions shall apply to the continuing education required by this section:
(1) An individual cannot take the same approved course in the same or successive years to meet the annual requirement for continuing education.
(2) An individual can only receive credit for a continuing education course in the year in which the course is taken, unless the individual is making up a deficiency in continuing education as permitted by rule or order of the superintendent of financial institutions.
(3) An individual who subsequently becomes unlicensed must complete the continuing education requirement for the last year in which the license was held prior to the issuance of a new or renewed license.
(4) A licensee who is approved as an instructor of an approved continuing education course may receive credit for the licensee's own annual continuing education requirement at the rate of two credit hours for every one hour taught.
(5) A person having successfully completed a continuing education course approved by the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry for any state shall receive credit toward completion of the continuing education requirement of this state.
(D) Notwithstanding division (B) of this section, until the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry implements a review and approval process, the superintendent shall require evidence that the licensee has successfully completed at least eight hours of continuing education in a course or program of study approved by the superintendent.
Added by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Related Legislative Provision: See 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §745.60.