(A) Each licensee and each person designated under division (A)(3) of section 1322.03 of the Revised Code to act as operations manager for a mortgage broker business shall complete at least eight hours of continuing education every calendar year. To fulfill this requirement, the eight hours of continuing education must be offered in a course or program of study reviewed and approved by the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry. The course or program of study shall include all of the following:
(1) Three hours of applicable federal law and regulations;
(2) Two hours of ethics, which shall include instruction on fraud, consumer protection, and fair lending issues;
(3) Two hours of training related to lending standards for the nontraditional mortgage product marketplace.
(B) Continuing education courses shall be reviewed and approved by the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry based upon reasonable standards.
(C) The following conditions shall apply to the continuing education required by this section:
(1) An individual cannot take the same approved course in the same or successive years to meet the annual requirement for continuing education.
(2) An individual can only receive credit for a continuing education course in the year in which the course is taken, unless the individual is making up a deficiency in continuing education as permitted by rule or order of the superintendent of financial institutions.
(3) A licensee who subsequently becomes unlicensed must complete the continuing education requirement for the last year in which the license was held prior to the issuance of a new or renewed license.
(4) A licensee who is approved as an instructor of a continuing education course receives credit for the licensee's own annual continuing education requirement at the rate of two credit hours for every one hour taught.
(5) If an individual successfully completed a continuing education course reviewed and approved by the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry as required by another state, the individual can receive credit toward completion of the continuing education requirement of this state.
(D) Notwithstanding division (A) of this section, until the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry implements a review and approval process, each licensee or person designated under division (A)(3) of section 1322.03 of the Revised Code shall provide evidence that the licensee or person has successfully completed at least eight hours of continuing education in a course or program of study approved by the superintendent offinancial institutions.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 05-02-2002
Related Legislative Provision: See 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §745.60.