(A) No person shall do any of the following:
(1) Sell or expose for sale at retail, or manufacture, any meat or meat preparations or any fowl or preparations from fowl and falsely represent the same to be "kosher" or as having been prepared under, and of a product or products sanctioned by, the Orthodox Hebrew religious requirements;
(2) Falsely represent any food products or the contents of any package or container to be constituted and prepared as described in division (A)(1) of this section by having or permitting to be inscribed thereon "kosher," "kosher style," "kosher type," "kosher for passover," "Jewish," or "Hebrew" in any language, or have "kosher," "kosher style," "kosher type," "kosher for passover," "Jewish," or "Hebrew" inscribed on the front of any retail business establishment in any language except the terms "Jewish," "Hebrew," "kosher style," or "kosher type" may be used on packages or containers only if the packages or containers are also marked "nonkosher" in easily readable print;
(3) Sell or expose for sale at retail in the same place of business both kosher and nonkosher meat or meat preparations either raw or prepared for human consumption unless he indicates on his window signs and all display advertising in block letters at least four inches in height, "kosher and nonkosher food served here." However, if the person sells only kosher meat or kosher meat preparations that are prepackaged for sale, he is exempt from this division.
(4) Make any direct statement, either orally or in writing, display the words "kosher," "kosher style," "kosher type," "kosher for passover," "Jewish," or "Hebrew" in any language, or display any insignia, six-pointed star, or other mark that might reasonably be calculated to deceive or lead a reasonable person to believe a product is "kosher" or sanctioned by Orthodox Hebrew religious requirements, if it is not.
(B) All prepackaged meats and poultry sold or exposed for sale at retail as "kosher" shall be soaked and salted. All other fresh meats and poultry sold or exposed for sale at retail as "kosher" shall be marked, on the label when packaged or by a sign when not packaged, with the words "soaked and salted" or "not soaked and salted," whichever is applicable. All advertisements for food or food products sold or exposed for sale as "kosher" under rabbinical supervision must identify the name of the rabbi or organization, if any, that certified the food or food products as being "kosher."
(C) Any retailer who, at the end of the business day on the effective date of this amendment, has in his inventory products that are not "kosher" but are marked "kosher style," "kosher type," "kosher for passover," "Jewish," or "Hebrew" may continue to sell those products if he marks them "nonkosher" either on their labels or on display advertising in block letters at least four inches in height.
(D) The department of agriculture shall enforce this section and for such purpose any person designated by the department may enter upon premises where food represented to be kosher is sold or exposed for sale, at any reasonable time during business hours to inspect such food.
Whenever the department determines that a person is violating this section and has received no previous warning under this section, it shall issue a warning to that person specifying what actions he needs to take in order to comply with this section and notifying him that he has ten days after his receipt of the warning to take those actions. If, at the end of the ten-day period, the department determines that the person still is not in compliance with this section, the violator is subject to strict criminal liability, as provided in division (B) of section 2901.21 of the Revised Code.
If a person has received a previous warning under this section or has been found in violation of this section, he shall receive no warning under this division concerning subsequent noncompliance with this section and is subject to strict criminal liability, as provided in division (B) of section 2901.21 of the Revised Code. No action may be maintained against a retail seller for a violation of this section unless:
(1) He fails to comply with a warning issued under division (D) of this section; or
(2) He had actual knowledge or should have had knowledge that the product offered for sale did not comply with this section.
Effective Date: 03-01-1983 .