(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Active duty" means active duty pursuant to an executive order of the president of the United States, an act of the congress of the United States, or section 5919.29 or 5923.21 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Motor vehicle" means any automobile, car minivan, passenger van, sport utility vehicle, pickup truck, or other self-propelled vehicle not operated or driven on fixed rails or track.
(B) Any person, or spouse of a person, who is deployed on active duty for a period of not less than one hundred eighty days may terminate any motor vehicle lease that meets both of the following requirements:
(1) It is entered into on or after the effective date of this section.
(2) It is executed by or on behalf of the person who is deployed on active duty.
(C) Termination of the motor vehicle lease shall not be effective until:
(1) The person who is deployed on active duty or the person's spouse gives the lessor by certified mail, return receipt requested, a notice of the intention to terminate the lease together with a copy of the military or gubernatorial orders calling the person to active duty; and
(2) The motor vehicle subject to the lease is returned to the custody or control of the lessor not later than fifteen days after the delivery of the written notice.
(D) Lease amounts unpaid for the period preceding the effective date of the lease's termination shall be paid on a prorated basis. The lessor may not impose an early termination charge, but any taxes, costs of summons, and title or registration fees and any other obligation and liability of the lessee under the terms of the lease, including reasonable charges to the lessee for excess wear, use, and mileage, that are due and unpaid at the time of the lease's termination shall be paid by the lessee.
(E) The lessor shall refund to the lessee lease amounts paid in advance for a period after the effective date of the lease's termination within thirty days of the effective date of the lease's termination.
(F) Upon application by the lessor to a court before the effective date of the lease's termination, relief granted by this section may be modified as justice and equity require.
Cite as R.C. § 1349.02
History. Effective Date: 05-18-2005