(A) No person shall record or cause to be recorded either of the following:
(1) A credit card account number of the other party to a transaction, when a check, bill of exchange, or other draft is presented for payment;
(2) The telephone number or social security account number of the other party to a transaction, when payment is made by credit card charge agreement, check, bill of exchange, or other draft.
(B) Division (A) of this section does not apply to a transaction, if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The credit card account number, social security account number, or telephone number is recorded for a legitimate business purpose, including collection purposes.
(2) The other party to the transaction consents to the recording of the credit card account number, social security account number, or telephone number.
(3) The credit card account number, social security account number, or telephone number that is recorded during the course of the transaction is not disclosed to any third party for any purposes other than collection purposes and is not used to market goods or services unrelated to the goods or services purchased in the transaction.
(C) Nothing in this section prohibits the recording of the number of a credit card account when given in lieu of a deposit to secure payment in the event of default, loss, damage, or other occurrence, or requires a person to accept a check presented for payment, if the other party to the transaction refuses to consent to the recording of the number of the party's social security account or license to operate a motor vehicle.
Effective Date: 07-30-1993 .