(A) Any voluntarily retired judge, or any judge who is retired under Section 6 of Article IV, Ohio Constitution, may be assigned with the judge's consent, by the chief justice or acting chief justice of the supreme court, to active duty as a judge. While so serving, the judge shall be paid, from money appropriated for this purpose, the established compensation for such office, computed on a per diem basis, in addition to any retirement benefits to which the judge may be entitled.
(B) Annually, on the first day of August, the administrative director of the Ohio courts shall issue a billing to the county treasurer of any county to which such a judge is assigned for reimbursement of the county's portion of the compensation previously paid by the state for the twelve-month period preceding the last day of June. The county's portion of the compensation shall be that part of each per diem paid by the state which is proportional to the county's share of the total compensation of a resident judge of such court. The county treasurer shall forward the payment within thirty days.
(1) A retired assigned judge is eligible to receive a retired assigned judge payment if the retired assigned judge completes not less than one hundred hours of service in the preceding quarter as assigned by the chief justice or acting chief justice. The payment shall be seven hundred fifty dollars per quarter and shall be paid from money appropriated for this purpose. The payment is subject to any and all applicable taxes under local, state, and federal law.
(2) Except as provided in division (C)(3) of this section, the payment shall be paid within thirty days after the end of the quarter in which the one hundred hours is served.
(3) In the case of a county-operated municipal court, other municipal court, or county court to which a judge was assigned, payment shall be made within thirty days after receipt of the quarterly request for reimbursement as required in division (B) of section 1901.123 of the Revised Code.
(D) Division (C) of this section does not affect any right of a retired assigned judge to receive any allowance, annuity, pension, or other benefit vested pursuant to Chapter 145. of the Revised Code or other eligible retirement system pursuant to Ohio law.
(E) As used in this section:
(1) "Retired assigned judge" is a judge that is described in division (A) of this section.
(2) "Quarter" is the preceding three-month period ending on the last day of the month of March, June, September, or December of each year.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 11, §1, eff. 10/19/2015.
Effective Date: 07-01-1985 .