(A) There is hereby established the volunteer peace officers dependents fund.
Each county, municipal corporation, township, township police district, and joint police district with a police or sheriff's department that employs volunteer peace officers is a member of the volunteer peace officers' dependents fund and shall establish a volunteer peace officers' dependents fund board. Each board shall consist of the following board members:
(1) Two board members, elected by the legislative authority of the fund member that maintains the police or sheriff's department;
(2) Two board members, elected by the volunteer peace officers of the police or sheriff's department;
(3) One board member, elected by the board members elected pursuant to divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section. The board member must be an elector of the fund member in which the police or sheriff's department is located, but not a public employee, member of the legislative authority, or peace officer of that police or sheriff's department.
(B) The term of office of a board member begins the first day of January and is one year.
(1) The election of the board members specified in division (A)(1) of this section shall be held each year not earlier than the first day of November and not later than the second Monday in December. The election of the member specified in division (A)(3) of this section shall be held each year on or before the thirty-first day of December.
(2) The members specified in division (A)(2) of this section shall be elected on or before the second Monday in December, as follows:
(a) The secretary of the board shall give notice of the election by posting it in a conspicuous place at the headquarters of the police or sheriff's department. Between nine a.m. and nine p.m. on the day designated, each person eligible t o vote shall send in writing the name of two persons eligible to be elected to the board who are the person's choices.
(b) All votes cast at the election shall be counted and recorded by the board, which shall announce the result. The two persons receiving the highest number of votes are elected. If there is a tie vote for any two persons, the election shall be decided by lot or in any other way agreed on by the persons for whom the tie vote was cast.
(D) Any vacancy occurring on a board shall be filled at a special election called by the board's secretary.
Added by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 11, §1, eff. 3/23/2016.
Related Legislative Provision: See 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 11, §4.