(A) "Public employee," as defined in division (A) of section 145.01 of the Revised Code, does not include any person:
(1) Who is employed by a private, temporary-help service and performs services under the direction of a public employer or is employed on a contractual basis as an independent contractor under a personal service contract with a public employer;
(2) Who is an emergency employee serving on a temporary basis in case of fire, snow, earthquake, flood, or other similar emergency;
(3) Who is employed in a program established pursuant to the "Job Training Partnership Act," 96 Stat. 1322 (1982), 29 U.S.C.A. 1501;
(4) Who is an appointed member of either the motor vehicle salvage dealers board or the motor vehicle dealer's board whose rate and method of payment are determined pursuant to division (J) of section 124.15 of the Revised Code;
(5) Who is employed as an election worker and paid less than five hundred dollars per calendar year for that service;
(6) Who is employed as a firefighter in a position requiring satisfactory completion of a firefighter training course approved under former section 3303.07 or section 4765.55 of the Revised Code or conducted under section 3737.33 of the Revised Code except for the following:
(a) Any firefighter who has elected under section 145.013 of the Revised Code to remain a contributing member of the public employees retirement system;
(b) Any firefighter who was eligible to transfer from the public employees retirement system to the Ohio police and fire pension fund under section 742.51 or 742.515 of the Revised Code and did not elect to transfer;
(c) Any firefighter who has elected under section 742.516 of the Revised Code to transfer from the Ohio police and fire pension fund to the public employees retirement system.
(7) Who is a member of the board of health of a city or general health district, which pursuant to sections 3709.051 and 3709.07 of the Revised Code includes a combined health district, and whose compensation for attendance at meetings of the board is set forth in division (B) of section 3709.02 or division (B) of section 3709.05 of the Revised Code, as appropriate;
(8) Who participates in an alternative retirement plan established under Chapter 3305. of the Revised Code;
(9) Who is a member of the board of directors of a sanitary district established under Chapter 6115. of the Revised Code;
(10) Who is a member of the unemployment compensation advisory council;
(11) Who is an employee, officer, or governor-appointed member of the board of directors of the nonprofit corporation formed under section 187.01 of the Revised Code;
(12) Who is employed by the nonprofit entity established to provide advocacy services and a client assistance program for people with disabilities under Section 319.20 of Am. Sub. H.B. 153 of the 129th general assembly and whose employment begins on or after October 1, 2012.
(B) No inmate of a correctional institution operated by the department of rehabilitation and correction, no patient in a hospital for the mentally ill or criminally insane operated by the department of mental health and addiction services, no resident in an institution for the mentally retarded operated by the department of developmental disabilities, no resident admitted as a patient of a veterans' home operated under Chapter 5907. of the Revised Code, and no resident of a county home shall be considered as a public employee for the purpose of establishing membership or calculating service credit or benefits under this chapter. Nothing in this division shall be construed to affect any service credit attained by any person who was a public employee before becoming an inmate, patient, or resident at any institution listed in this division, or the payment of any benefit for which such a person or such a person's beneficiaries otherwise would be eligible.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 6/11/2012.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.1, HB 1, §1, eff. 2/18/2011.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Amended by 128th General Assemblych.9, SB 79, §1, eff. 10/6/2009.
Effective Date: 03-14-2003
The amendment to this section by 129th General AssemblyFile No.10, SB 5, §1 was rejected by voters in the November, 2011 election.