(1) There is hereby created the national museum of Afro-American history and culture planning committee to advise the Ohio history connection in the performance of its duties pursuant to section 149.302 of the Revised Code. The committee shall consist of sixteen voting members appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate, and the nonvoting members appointed under division (A)(2) of this section. Each of the following organizations shall submit to the governor a list of three nominees, and the governor shall appoint one member from each such list:
(a) Association for the study of Afro-American life and history;
(b) Central state university;
(c) Congressional black caucus;
(d) Greene county historical society;
(e) National association for the advancement of colored people;
(f) National council of Negro women;
(g) National newspaper publishers association;
(h) National urban league;
(i) Ohio history connection;
(j) Organization of American historians;
(k) Society of American archivists;
(1) Wilberforce university.
The governor shall appoint the remaining four voting members from the public at large.
As the term of a member appointed from a list of nominees submitted by an organization under divisions (A)(1)(a) to (l) of this section expires, the governor shall make an appointment from a list of nominations submitted by the same organization that submitted the nominations from which the outgoing member was appointed.
(2) One member of the house of representatives designated by the speaker of the house of representatives and one member of the senate designated by the president of the senate shall serve as nonvoting members of the committee.
(3) As the term of a member expires, the member's successor shall be appointed by the governor, with the advice and consent of the senate. Such terms shall be for four years, commencing on the first day of February and ending on the thirty-first day of January. Each member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed. In the event of the death, removal, resignation, or incapacity of a member, the governor, with the advice and consent of the senate, shall appoint a successor in the same manner specified in this section for the appointment of members to full terms. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the end of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office for the remainder of such term. Any member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until a successor takes office, or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first. The governor may remove any appointed member for misfeasance, nonfeasance, or malfeasance in office.
(1) From its membership, the committee shall select a chairperson and vice-chairperson. All members of the committee shall serve without compensation, but may be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties. The expenses of the committee shall be paid out of the appropriated subsidy to the Ohio history connection.
(2) The committee shall hold at least one regular meeting in each quarter of each calendar year, and shall keep a record of its proceedings, which shall be open to the public for inspection. Special meetings may be called by the chairperson, and shall be called upon a written request there for signed by five or more members. A written notice of the time and place of each meeting shall be sent to each member. A majority of the members of the committee shall constitute a quorum.
(3) The Ohio history connection may provide any necessary staff or services required by the advisory committee in the performance of its duties. Compensation for such services shall be paid out of the appropriated subsidy to the Ohio history connection.
(C) The committee may accept donations of historical items and artifacts for placement in the national museum of Afro-American history and culture, and shall house such items and artifacts at the Ohio history connection until the museum is established. After the establishment of the museum, the committee shall convey all such donated items and artifacts to the private, nonprofit organization to which the Ohio history connection has conveyed the museum and its contents, as provided in section 149.302 of the Revised Code. All such historical items and artifacts so conveyed shall remain at the museum as part of its permanent collection. The committee shall advise the private, nonprofit organization to which the Ohio history connection has conveyed the museum and its contents, concerning the operation and maintenance of the museum.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 141, §1, eff. 9/29/2015.
Effective Date: 02-01-1998
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §4